AffiliationBreast Biology Group, School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Human Sciences, University of Manchester, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, M20 4BX Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent results have increased our understanding of normal stem cells and the signalling pathways which regulate them during the development of the mammary gland. Tumours in many tissues are now thought to develop from dysregulated stem cells and depend on activated stem cell self-renewal pathways such as Notch for their tumourigenic capacity. These cancer stem cells are recognised by specific cell surface proteins that they express and their capacity to grow tumours in vivo or spheres in vitro. We have described human breast DCIS mammospheres grown from cancer stem cells and demonstrated their dependence on the EGF and Notch receptor pathways. Stem cell self-renewal pathways such as these may represent novel therapeutic targets to prevent recurrence of pre-invasive and invasive breast cancer.
CitationBreast stem cells and cancer. 2006 (5):141-53 Ernst Schering Found Symp Proc
JournalErnst Schering Foundation Symposium Proceedings
- Mammary stem cells and breast cancer--role of Notch signalling.
- Authors: Farnie G, Clarke RB
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- p66Shc/Notch-3 interplay controls self-renewal and hypoxia survival in human stem/progenitor cells of the mammary gland expanded in vitro as mammospheres.
- Authors: Sansone P, Storci G, Giovannini C, Pandolfi S, Pianetti S, Taffurelli M, Santini D, Ceccarelli C, Chieco P, Bonafé M
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Fascin Is Critical for the Maintenance of Breast Cancer Stem Cell Pool Predominantly via the Activation of the Notch Self-Renewal Pathway.
- Authors: Barnawi R, Al-Khaldi S, Majed Sleiman G, Sarkar A, Al-Dhfyan A, Al-Mohanna F, Ghebeh H, Al-Alwan M
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Notch signaling in cancer stem cells.
- Authors: Wang J, Sullenger BA, Rich JN
- Issue date: 2012
- The mammary stem cell hierarchy: a looking glass into heterogeneous breast cancer landscapes.
- Authors: Sreekumar A, Roarty K, Rosen JM
- Issue date: 2015 Dec