High resolution analysis of mammalian nuclear structure throughout the cell cycle: implications for nuclear pore complex assembly during interphase and mitosis.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNuclear pore complexes (NPCs) are the gateways for both active and passive bidirectional molecular transport between the nucleoplasm and cytoplasm. These mega-dalton assemblies are composed of multiple copies of approximately 30 distinct proteins termed nucleoporins. Higher eukaryotes display an "open" mitosis in which the NPCs, nuclear envelope, and lamina disassemble. During mitosis several nucleoporins are redistributed to kinetochores until they are recruited back to the periphery of chromatin as the NPCs are reassembled. Within this study we have developed and optimized the visualization of mammalian cells and their chromosome profiles throughout the cell-cycle. Close attention has been paid to the preservation of chromatin, membranes, and NPC structure to investigate the ultrastructural locations of specific proteins in both interphase and mitosis.
CitationHigh resolution analysis of mammalian nuclear structure throughout the cell cycle: implications for nuclear pore complex assembly during interphase and mitosis., 84 (3-4):423-30 Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol.
JournalCanadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology
- Nucleoporins: leaving the nuclear pore complex for a successful mitosis.
- Authors: Chatel G, Fahrenkrog B
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Live imaging system for visualizing nuclear pore complex (NPC) formation during interphase in mammalian cells.
- Authors: Iino H, Maeshima K, Nakatomi R, Kose S, Hashikawa T, Tachibana T, Imamoto N
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Nuclear pore complex assembly through the cell cycle: regulation and membrane organization.
- Authors: Antonin W, Ellenberg J, Dultz E
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 18
- MEL-28, a novel nuclear-envelope and kinetochore protein essential for zygotic nuclear-envelope assembly in C. elegans.
- Authors: Galy V, Askjaer P, Franz C, López-Iglesias C, Mattaj IW
- Issue date: 2006 Sep 5
- Function and assembly of nuclear pore complex proteins.
- Authors: Bodoor K, Shaikh S, Enarson P, Chowdhury S, Salina D, Raharjo WH, Burke B
- Issue date: 1999