High-throughput genomic technology in research and clinical management of breast cancer. Exploiting the potential of gene expression profiling: is it ready for the clinic?
AffiliationBreast Biology Group, University of Manchester, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGene expression profiling is a relatively new technology for the study of breast cancers, but within the past few years there has been a rapid rise in interest in its potential to improve the clinical management of breast cancer. This technology has contributed to our knowledge of the molecular pathology of breast tumours and shows promise as a tool to predict response to therapy and outcome, such as risk of metastasis. Microarray technology is continually developing and it is becoming apparent that, despite the various platforms available, robust conclusions can still be drawn that apply across the different array types. Gene expression profiling is beginning to appear in the breast cancer clinic but it is not yet fully evaluated. This review explores the questions that must be addressed before this technology can become an everyday clinical tool.
CitationHigh-throughput genomic technology in research and clinical management of breast cancer. Exploiting the potential of gene expression profiling: is it ready for the clinic? 2006, 8 (5):214 Breast Cancer Res.
JournalBreast Cancer Research
- Gene Expression Profiling Tests for Early-Stage Invasive Breast Cancer: A Health Technology Assessment.
- Authors: Ontario Health (Quality) .
- Issue date: 2020
- Microarray-based gene expression profiling as a clinical tool for breast cancer management: are we there yet?
- Authors: Correa Geyer F, Reis-Filho JS
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- The promise of microarrays in the management and treatment of breast cancer.
- Authors: Chang JC, Hilsenbeck SG, Fuqua SA
- Issue date: 2005
- Bioinformatics and breast cancer: what can high-throughput genomic approaches actually tell us?
- Authors: Sims AH
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Establishment of the epithelial-specific transcriptome of normal and malignant human breast cells based on MPSS and array expression data.
- Authors: Grigoriadis A, Mackay A, Reis-Filho JS, Steele D, Iseli C, Stevenson BJ, Jongeneel CV, Valgeirsson H, Fenwick K, Iravani M, Leao M, Simpson AJ, Strausberg RL, Jat PS, Ashworth A, Neville AM, O'Hare MJ
- Issue date: 2006