Identification of a major histocompatibility complex class I-restricted T-cell epitope in the tumour-associated antigen, 5T4.
AffiliationOxford BioMedica (UK) Ltd, Medawar Centre, Oxford Science Park, Oxford, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract5T4 is a surface glycoprotein expressed on placental trophoblasts and also on a wide range of human carcinomas. Its highly restricted expression on normal tissues and broad distribution on many carcinomas make 5T4 a promising target for cancer immunotherapy. In the current study, we set out to investigate whether a 5T4-specific cytotoxic T lymphocyte (CTL) repertoire exists in healthy individuals. CD4-depleted peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from blood donors were screened using an ex vivo interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) enzyme-linked immunospot (ELISPOT) assay. A panel of overlapping peptides, spanning the full length of the 5T4 protein, was used as a source of antigen. In the process of screening, one out of 30 blood donors demonstrated a positive ex vivo IFN-gamma ELISPOT response to a single 5T4 peptide. A polyclonal T-cell line was derived from this donor by culturing PBMCs with autologous peptide-pulsed dendritic cells (DCs). The resulting polyclonal T-cell line and clones were tested in a 51Cr-release assay and by ELISPOT and were shown to be peptide specific. Furthermore, antigen-presenting cells (APCs), infected with a viral vector expressing 5T4, were able to stimulate IFN-gamma production by the peptide-specific T-cell clones. A minimal CD8 epitope, PLADLSPFA, has been identified and found to be restricted through human leucocyte antigen (HLA) Cw7. Subsequently, we have demonstrated that HLA-Cw7-positive colorectal cancer patients vaccinated with a recombinant vaccinia viral vector encoding 5T4 (TroVax) are capable of mounting a strong IFN-gamma ELISPOT response to this novel CTL epitope. These findings have potential application in cancer immunotherapy in terms of subunit vaccine design and the monitoring of immune responses induced in patients by 5T4-based therapies.
CitationIdentification of a major histocompatibility complex class I-restricted T-cell epitope in the tumour-associated antigen, 5T4. 2006, 118 (1):50-7 Immunology
- Identification and functional validation of MHC class I epitopes in the tumor-associated antigen 5T4.
- Authors: Shingler WH, Chikoti P, Kingsman SM, Harrop R
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Host-oriented peptide evaluation using whole blood assay for generating antigen-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes.
- Authors: Kawabuchi Y, Yamaguchi Y, Ohshita A, Minami K, Toge T
- Issue date: 2004 Mar-Apr
- Identification of vaccine candidate peptides in the NcSRS2 surface protein of Neospora caninum by using CD4+ cytotoxic T lymphocytes and gamma interferon-secreting T lymphocytes of infected holstein cattle.
- Authors: Staska LM, Davies CJ, Brown WC, McGuire TC, Suarez CE, Park JY, Mathison BA, Abbott JR, Baszler TV
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Natural CD8+ T-cell responses against MHC class I epitopes of the HER-2/ neu oncoprotein in patients with epithelial tumors.
- Authors: Sotiropoulou PA, Perez SA, Voelter V, Echner H, Missitzis I, Tsavaris NB, Papamichail M, Baxevanis CN
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- CD8 T-cell recognition of human 5T4 oncofetal antigen.
- Authors: Smyth LJ, Elkord E, Taher TE, Jiang HR, Burt DJ, Clayton A, van Veelen PA, de Ru A, Ossendorp F, Melief CJ, Drijfhout JW, Dermime S, Hawkins RE, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 1