AuthorsSmyth, Lucy J C
Burt, Deborah J
Clayton, Alison J
Van Veelen, Peter A
De Ru, Arnoud
Melief, Cornelis J M
Drijfhout, Jan W
Hawkins, Robert E
Stern, Peter L
AffiliationImmunology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 5T4 oncofetal antigen is expressed by a wide variety of human carcinomas, including colorectal, ovarian and gastric carcinomas. The restricted expression of 5T4 on tumor tissues as well as its implication in tumor progression and bad prognosis makes 5T4 a promising new candidate for immunotherapy. An MVA vaccine encoding 5T4 antigen has been successfully evaluated in preclinical studies in a murine tumor model. Here, we report the generation of human CD8 T cells specific for the 5T4 antigen by stimulation with autologous monocyte derived DC infected with a replication defective adenovirus encoding the 5T4 cDNA (Ad5T4). Analysis of several donors confirms a repertoire of such CD8 responses. In a parallel approach, incorporating the results of proteasome-mediated digestion of 5T4 derived 35-mer peptides and the potential high affinity epitopes predicted by a computer-based algorithm, we identified 8 putative HLA-A*0201-presented CD8 MHC class I epitopes of 5T4 antigen. Two of these generated specific CD8 T cells after restimulation with peptide loaded autologous DC and assay by cytotoxicity and IFN gamma ELISPOT. Moreover these particular peptide generated T cells recognized naturally 5T4 positive tumor cells only if they expressed HLA-A*0201 as judged by IFN gamma ELISPOT or ELISA. Also, HLA-A*0201 CD8 T cells recognized these peptides in a DC-Ad5T4 polyclonal response. In conclusion, there is a repertoire of CD8 T cell recognition of 5T4 in normal human donors and some candidate HLA-A*0201 epitopes have been identified.
CitationCD8 T-cell recognition of human 5T4 oncofetal antigen. 2006, 119 (7):1638-47 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Definition of an immunogenic region within the ovarian tumor antigen stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme.
- Authors: Bondurant KL, Crew MD, Santin AD, O'Brien TJ, Cannon MJ
- Issue date: 2005 May 1
- Identification of a major histocompatibility complex class I-restricted T-cell epitope in the tumour-associated antigen, 5T4.
- Authors: Redchenko I, Harrop R, Ryan MG, Hawkins RE, Carroll MW
- Issue date: 2006 May
- CD8+ T-cell clones specific for the 5T4 antigen target renal cell carcinoma tumor-initiating cells in a murine xenograft model.
- Authors: Tykodi SS, Satoh S, Deming JD, Chou J, Harrop R, Warren EH
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Recognition of PSA-derived peptide antigens by T cells from prostate cancer patients without any prior stimulation.
- Authors: Chakraborty NG, Stevens RL, Mehrotra S, Laska E, Taxel P, Sporn JR, Schauer P, Albertsen PC
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Identification of a naturally processed NY-ESO-1 peptide recognized by CD8+ T cells in the context of HLA-B51.
- Authors: Jäger E, Karbach J, Gnjatic S, Jäger D, Maeurer M, Atmaca A, Arand M, Skipper J, Stockert E, Chen YT, Old LJ, Knuth A
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 19