Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein-3, and breast cancer risk: eight years on.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInsulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, and its main binding protein, IGFBP-3, are multi-functional regulatory peptides of cell growth and survival, attributes important for tumourigenesis. Following seminal work published in 1998, it has been hypothesised that circulating concentrations of these growth factors may be associated with cancer risk. Systematic reviews have reported that high normal range circulating levels of total IGF-I predict for pre- but not post-menopausal breast cancer. By contrast, associations with circulating IGFBP-3 have been inconsistent. A cumulative meta-analysis demonstrates that earlier reported positive associations between IGFBP-3 and pre-menopausal breast cancer risk now seem less clear as large-size cohorts are published. The reasons are complex and include differences in study design, lack of standardisation between assays, and variations in IGFBP-3 proteolytic activity--these are discussed in this commentary.
CitationInsulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein-3, and breast cancer risk: eight years on. 2006, 13 (2):273-8 Endocr. Relat. Cancer
- Insulin-like growth factor-I, its binding proteins (IGFBP-1 and IGFBP-3), and growth hormone and breast cancer risk in The Nurses Health Study II.
- Authors: Schernhammer ES, Holly JM, Hunter DJ, Pollak MN, Hankinson SE
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Circulating insulin-like growth factor-I and binding protein-3 and the risk of breast cancer.
- Authors: Baglietto L, English DR, Hopper JL, Morris HA, Tilley WD, Giles GG
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Factors associated with circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 in 740 women at risk for breast cancer.
- Authors: Johansson H, Baglietto L, Guerrieri-Gonzaga A, Bonanni B, Mariette F, Macis D, Serrano D, Sandri MT, Decensi A
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Genetic variation in the growth hormone synthesis pathway in relation to circulating insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, and breast cancer risk: results from the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition study.
- Authors: Canzian F, McKay JD, Cleveland RJ, Dossus L, Biessy C, Boillot C, Rinaldi S, Llewellyn M, Chajès V, Clavel-Chapelon F, Téhard B, Chang-Claude J, Linseisen J, Lahmann PH, Pischon T, Trichopoulos D, Trichopoulou A, Zilis D, Palli D, Tumino R, Vineis P, Berrino F, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, van Gils CH, Peeters PH, Pera G, Barricarte A, Chirlaque MD, Quirós JR, Larrañaga N, Martínez-García C, Allen NE, Key TJ, Bingham SA, Khaw KT, Slimani N, Norat T, Riboli E, Kaaks R
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Intact and total insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) levels in relation to breast cancer risk factors: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Diorio C, Brisson J, Bérubé S, Pollak M
- Issue date: 2008