AffiliationDepartment of Neurosurgery, Hope Hospital, Salford, Manchester, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSpinal meningiomas are reported infrequently as pure epidural tumors, and they are rarely located at the caudal end of the spine. The unique combination of a wholly epidural tumor confined entirely to the sacral canal has not been previously described. The authors describe the case of a 29-year-old man who presented with coccygeal and left-sided S2-4 dermatomal pain. Examination confirmed sensory loss in the same distribution. A magnetic resonance image revealed an enhancing mass lesion in the sacral canal scalloping the bone at S-2 and S-3. An apparent complete resection was performed. Intraoperatively the authors observed an entirely epidural tumor with a small dural attachment at the most caudal end of the thecal sac. Histological examination confirmed that the tumor was an atypical meningioma. A local recurrence developed within 1 year of surgery, and the patient underwent a hemisacrectomy for tumor removal. An additional recurrence in the lumbosacral spine and multiple pulmonary metastases developed thereafter. In addition to the unique nature of this case, the authors also observed a tumor behaving in a far more aggressive fashion than its histological findings would suggest. This adds to the differential diagnosis of tumors occurring in the sacral canal.
CitationEpidural meningioma of the sacral canal. Case report. 2006, 4 (1):71-4 J Neurosurg Spine
JournalJournal of Neurosurgery. Spine
- [Intra-spinal clear cell meningioma. Case report and literature review].
- Authors: Tuñón-Pitalúa MC, Molina-Olier O, Alcalá-Cerra G, Niño-Hernández LM, Lozano-Tangua CF
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Spinal intradural clear cell meningioma following resection of a suprasellar clear cell meningioma. Case report and recommendations for management.
- Authors: Dhall SS, Tumialán LM, Brat DJ, Barrow DL
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Primary atypical sacral meningioma--not always benign.
- Authors: Bhadra AK, Casey AT, Saifuddin A, Briggs TW
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Clinical features and surgical outcomes of spinal clear cell meningioma: An institutional experience.
- Authors: Wu L, Fang J, Yang J, Jia W, Xu Y
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- An atypical spinal meningioma with CSF metastasis: fatal progression despite aggressive treatment. Case report.
- Authors: Cramer P, Thomale UW, Okuducu AF, Lemke AJ, Stockhammer F, Woiciechowsky C
- Issue date: 2005 Aug