AuthorsHenry, Ann M
Sykes, Jonathan R
Amer, Ali M
Marchant, Thomas E
Cowan, Richard A
Wylie, James P
Logue, John P
Livsey, Jacqueline E
Khoo, Vincent S
Moore, Christopher J
Price, Patricia M
AffiliationAcademic Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To assess the clinical utility of X-ray volume imaging (XVI) for verification of bladder radiotherapy and to quantify geometric error in bladder radiotherapy delivery. METHODS AND MATERIALS: Twenty subjects undergoing conformal bladder radiotherapy were recruited. X-ray volume images and electronic portal images (EPIs) were acquired for the first 5 fractions and then once weekly. X-ray volume images were co-registered with the planning computed tomography scan and clinical target volume coverage assessed in three dimensions (3D). Interfraction bladder volume change was described by quantifying changes in bladder volume with time. Bony setup errors were compared from both XVI and EPI. RESULTS: The bladder boundary was clearly visible on coronal XVI views in nearly all images, allowing accurate 3D treatment verification. In 93.5% of imaged fractions, the clinical target volume was within the planning target volume. Most subjects displayed consistent bladder volumes, but 25% displayed changes that could be predicted from the first three XVIs. Bony setup errors were similar whether calculated from XVI or EPI. CONCLUSIONS: Coronal XVI can be used to verify 3D bladder radiotherapy delivery. Image-guided interventions to reduce geographic miss and normal tissue toxicity are feasible with this technology.
CitationX-ray volume imaging in bladder radiotherapy verification. 2006, 64 (4):1174-8 Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics
- Three-dimensional analysis of delineation errors, setup errors, and organ motion during radiotherapy of bladder cancer.
- Authors: Meijer GJ, Rasch C, Remeijer P, Lebesque JV
- Issue date: 2003 Apr 1
- Influence of bladder and rectal volume on spatial variability of a bladder tumor during radical radiotherapy.
- Authors: Pos FJ, Koedooder K, Hulshof MC, van Tienhoven G, González González D
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 1
- Online adaptive radiotherapy of the bladder: small bowel irradiated-volume reduction.
- Authors: Burridge N, Amer A, Marchant T, Sykes J, Stratford J, Henry A, McBain C, Price P, Moore C
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 1
- X-ray volumetric imaging in image-guided radiotherapy: the new standard in on-treatment imaging.
- Authors: McBain CA, Henry AM, Sykes J, Amer A, Marchant T, Moore CM, Davies J, Stratford J, McCarthy C, Porritt B, Williams P, Khoo VS, Price P
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 1
- Impact of changes in bladder and rectal filling volume on organ motion and dose distribution of the bladder in radiotherapy for urinary bladder cancer.
- Authors: Fokdal L, Honoré H, Høyer M, Meldgaard P, Fode K, von der Maase H
- Issue date: 2004 Jun 1