Dexamethasone protects against Cisplatin-induced activation of the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in human osteosarcoma cells.
AffiliationTeenage Cancer Trust, Young Oncology Unit, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Dexamethasone (Dx) is often used to alleviate the acute emetic toxicity associated with high dose cisplatin (cDDP) in osteosarcoma patients. However, in other tumour cell types, Dx has been reported to induce partial resistance to anticancer drugs. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We examined the effect of Dx on cDDP-induced apoptosis in the HOS human osteosarcoma cell line. RESULTS: Exposure to cDDP, induced apoptosis via the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway as evidenced by cytochrome c release and caspase activation. Pre and cotreatment of HOS cells with Dx reduced cDDP induced apoptosis by 10-25%. Investigation of the mechanisms of this protective effect indicated both the upregulation of the survival factor Akt and a possible direct receptor-mediated action of Dx to attenuate the activation of the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway components. CONCLUSIONS: These data indicate the need to carefully address the timing of glucocorticoid use in the clinical management of cancer patients.
CitationDexamethasone protects against Cisplatin-induced activation of the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in human osteosarcoma cells. 2006, 5 (8):915-20 Cancer Biol. Ther.
JournalCancer Biology & Therapy
- Cisplatin (CDDP) specifically induces apoptosis via sequential activation of caspase-8, -3 and -6 in osteosarcoma.
- Authors: Seki K, Yoshikawa H, Shiiki K, Hamada Y, Akamatsu N, Tasaka K
- Issue date: 2000
- Akt-mediated cisplatin resistance in ovarian cancer: modulation of p53 action on caspase-dependent mitochondrial death pathway.
- Authors: Yang X, Fraser M, Moll UM, Basak A, Tsang BK
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 15
- Cinobufagin Induces Apoptosis in Osteosarcoma Cells Via the Mitochondria-Mediated Apoptotic Pathway.
- Authors: Dai G, Zheng D, Guo W, Yang J, Cheng AY
- Issue date: 2018
- The IGF-1R/AKT pathway has opposing effects on Nutlin-3a-induced apoptosis.
- Authors: Davaadelger B, Perez RE, Zhou Y, Duan L, Gitelis S, Maki CG
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 2
- Platinum agents in the treatment of osteosarcoma: efficacy of cisplatin vs. carboplatin in human osteosarcoma cell lines.
- Authors: Robson H, Meyer S, Shalet SM, Anderson E, Roberts S, Eden OB
- Issue date: 2002 Dec