The putative role of transforming viruses in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Greaves, Mel F
Eden, Tim O B
Clayton, Rob A
Wilson, Katherine S
Jarrett, Ruth F
AffiliationLRF Virus Centre, Institute of Comparative Medicine, University of Glasgow, Bearsden Road, Glasgow, G61 1QH, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpidemiological evidence suggests that infection is involved in the etiology of common acute lymphoblastic leukemia, either by stimulating an inappropriate immune response or in the form of a classical transforming agent. In an attempt to elucidate the role that infection is playing in this disease, we used representational difference analysis (RDA) to examine tumor samples for the presence of exogenous genomes. Twenty RDA experiments were carried out, using four different restriction enzymes, but no exogenous sequences were identified within leukemic cells. These results suggest that it is unlikely that a single, direct transforming agent is involved in the pathogenesis of common acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
CitationThe putative role of transforming viruses in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. 2006, 91 (2):240-3 Haematologica
- JC and BK virus sequences are not detectable in leukaemic samples from children with common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
- Authors: MacKenzie J, Perry J, Ford AM, Jarrett RF, Greaves M
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Screening for herpesvirus genomes in common acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: MacKenzie J, Gallagher A, Clayton RA, Perry J, Eden OB, Ford AM, Greaves MF, Jarrett RF
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Quantitation of Human herpes virus 6 genome in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Seror E, Coquerel B, Gautheret-Dejean A, Ballerini P, Landman-Parker J, Leverger G, Schneider P, Vannier JP
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Respiratory viral infections in children with leukemia.
- Authors: Koskenvuo M, Möttönen M, Rahiala J, Saarinen-Pihkala UM, Riikonen P, Waris M, Ziegler T, Uhari M, Salmi TT, Ruuskanen O
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- An infectious etiology for common acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood?
- Authors: Greaves MF, Alexander FE
- Issue date: 1993 Mar