AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Lancashire, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: To review the outcome of 41 patients with invasive carcinoma of the penis treated with external-beam radiotherapy using a consistent technique and dose. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Forty-one patients with carcinoma of the penis treated at Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK, between 1995 and 2000 were reviewed retrospectively. Radiotherapy was delivered using 4 MV linear accelerators with a dose of 50 Gy or 52.5 Gy in 16 fractions over 22 days. RESULTS: The distribution of patients according to stage was T1=37, T2=4, N0=40, N3=1. Median follow-up was 4.5 years. The local control rate was 62%, nodal relapse-free rate of 88%, relapse-free rate of 51% and overall survival of 88% at 5 years. All recurrences were salvaged by surgery. Penile ulceration occurred in 8% and urethral stenosis requiring dilatation in 29%. There were no penectomies for penile necrosis. CONCLUSION: EBXRT may be offered for T1-2 cancer of the penis with close surveillance to detect local recurrences early for salvage surgery without jeopardising overall survival. It remains an alternative option to penis-preserving surgery and should be discussed in a multidisciplinary setting and with the patient.
CitationExternal-beam radiotherapy in T1-2 N0 penile carcinoma. 2006, 18 (4):320-5 Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol)
- Treatment results and prognostic factors in 101 men treated for squamous carcinoma of the penis.
- Authors: Sarin R, Norman AR, Steel GG, Horwich A
- Issue date: 1997 Jul 1
- Penile brachytherapy: results for 49 patients.
- Authors: Crook JM, Jezioranski J, Grimard L, Esche B, Pond G
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 1
- Brachytherapy for Conservative Treatment of Invasive Penile Carcinoma: Prognostic Factors and Long-Term Analysis of Outcome.
- Authors: Escande A, Haie-Meder C, Mazeron R, Maroun P, Cavalcanti A, de Crevoisier R, Schernberg A, Marsolat F, Blanchard P, Martinetti F, Bossi A, Dumas I, Deutsch E, Chargari C
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 1
- Long-term results of brachytherapy for carcinoma of the penis confined to the glans (N- or NX).
- Authors: de Crevoisier R, Slimane K, Sanfilippo N, Bossi A, Albano M, Dumas I, Wibault P, Fizazi K, Gerbaulet A, Haie-Meder C
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 15
- Radiation therapy alone or combined surgery and radiation therapy in squamous-cell carcinoma of the penis?
- Authors: Zouhair A, Coucke PA, Jeanneret W, Douglas P, Do HP, Jichlinski P, Mirimanoff RO, Ozsahin M
- Issue date: 2001 Jan