AffiliationFaculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Semen cryopreservation is a widely available method of maintaining fertility in male cancer patients. However this facility is not always used. AIMS: To identify the barriers to successful sperm banking in a group of adolescent and young adult patients. METHODS: Questionnaires were administered to 55 patients aged 13-21 years who had received potentially gonadotoxic therapy between 1997 and 2001 and had been offered sperm banking. RESULTS: Forty five questionnaires were completed; 67% of respondents were able to bank sperm. Those who had been unsuccessful were younger and described higher levels of anxiety at diagnosis and greater difficulty in talking about fertility. They also described less understanding of sperm banking at the time of diagnosis. CONCLUSION: Most adolescent cancer patients who have been offered fertility preservation are able to bank sperm. Younger patients may be helped by the provision of high quality information and more open discussion of the technique.
CitationSperm banking in adolescent cancer patients. 2006, 91 (2):149-52 Arch. Dis. Child.
JournalArchives of Disease in Childhood
- Utilization of sperm banking and barriers to its use in testicular cancer patients.
- Authors: Sonnenburg DW, Brames MJ, Case-Eads S, Einhorn LH
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Patient factors associated with sperm cryopreservation among at-risk adolescents newly diagnosed with cancer.
- Authors: Klosky JL, Lehmann V, Flynn JS, Su Y, Zhang H, Russell KM, Schenck LAM, Schover LR
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 1
- Monitoring fertility (semen analysis) by cancer survivors who banked sperm prior to cancer treatment.
- Authors: Pacey AA, Merrick H, Arden-Close E, Morris K, Barton LC, Crook AJ, Tomlinson MJ, Wright E, Rowe R, Eiser C
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Sperm banking for adolescent and young adult cancer patients: sperm quality, patient, and parent perspectives.
- Authors: Ginsberg JP, Ogle SK, Tuchman LK, Carlson CA, Reilly MM, Hobbie WL, Rourke M, Zhao H, Meadows AT
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Sperm banking for fertility preservation: a 20-year experience.
- Authors: Johnson MD, Cooper AR, Jungheim ES, Lanzendorf SE, Odem RR, Ratts VS
- Issue date: 2013 Sep