A study to determine the safety profile and maximum tolerated dose of micafungin (FK463) in patients undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
Byrne, J L
Prentice, H Grant
AffiliationLeukaemia and Myeloma Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis open-label, dose-escalation study assessed the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of the new antifungal micafungin in patients undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). Participants received 3, 4, 6 or 8 mg/kg/day micafungin intravenously from 7 days to a maximum of 28 days or until neutropaenia resolved. The MTD was defined as the highest dose not causing the same Grade 3 or 4 adverse event in three or more patients. All 36 participants received >/=8 days treatment for a median of 18 days (range: 8-28); 1 patient withdrew consent and a further 11 discontinued to receive another systemic antifungal agent for a suspected infection. No case of confirmed invasive fungal infection occurred. Adverse events were those expected for patients undergoing HSCT and showed no evidence of dose-related toxicity. Criteria for MTD were not met; no patient had a Grade 3 or 4 adverse event considered causally related to micafungin. Thus, the MTD of micafungin can be inferred to be 8 mg/kg/day or higher.
CitationA study to determine the safety profile and maximum tolerated dose of micafungin (FK463) in patients undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. 2006, 38 (1):47-51 Bone Marrow Transplant.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- A randomized, double blind, comparative trial of micafungin (FK463) vs. fluconazole for the treatment of oesophageal candidiasis.
- Authors: de Wet NT, Bester AJ, Viljoen JJ, Filho F, Suleiman JM, Ticona E, Llanos EA, Fisco C, Lau W, Buell D
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1
- Successful treatment of oesophageal candidiasis by micafungin: a novel systemic antifungal agent.
- Authors: Pettengell K, Mynhardt J, Kluyts T, Lau W, Facklam D, Buell D, FK463 South African Study Group.
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 15
- The pharmacokinetics and safety of micafungin, a novel echinocandin, in premature infants.
- Authors: Heresi GP, Gerstmann DR, Reed MD, van den Anker JN, Blumer JL, Kovanda L, Keirns JJ, Buell DN, Kearns GL
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics of Micafungin (FK463) in febrile neutropenic pediatric patients.
- Authors: Seibel NL, Schwartz C, Arrieta A, Flynn P, Shad A, Albano E, Keirns J, Lau WM, Facklam DP, Buell DN, Walsh TJ
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Pharmacokinetic and maximum tolerated dose study of micafungin in combination with fluconazole versus fluconazole alone for prophylaxis of fungal infections in adult patients undergoing a bone marrow or peripheral stem cell transplant.
- Authors: Hiemenz J, Cagnoni P, Simpson D, Devine S, Chao N, Keirns J, Lau W, Facklam D, Buell D
- Issue date: 2005 Apr