Postmenopausal advanced breast cancer: options for therapy after tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors.
AffiliationCookridge Hospital, Leeds LS16 6QB, West Yorkshire, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAll patients receiving endocrine treatment for advanced breast cancer (ABC) eventually progress, resulting in a need for new therapies that lack cross-resistance with existing agents. Oestrogen receptor (ER) modulators such as toremifene and raloxifene have poor efficacy following tamoxifen failure, whereas the non-steroidal aromatase inhibitors (AIs), anastrozole and letrozole and the steroidal AI exemestane are effective. Fulvestrant is a new ER antagonist with no agonist effects that is as effective as anastrozole in treating patients who have progressed on tamoxifen. AIs are replacing tamoxifen as first-line treatments for ABC and in the adjuvant setting, necessitating a re-evaluation of optimal sequencing. Preliminary data suggest that tamoxifen, exemestane and fulvestrant have activity in patients who have progressed on non-steroidal AIs and hence could be considered for use in this setting. Due to the apparent lack of cross-resistance between non-steroidal and steroidal AIs, non-steroidal AIs could also be effective following steroidal AI failure. Clinical trials are underway to assess the most appropriate treatment sequence following non-steroidal AI failure, with comparisons of fulvestrant and exemestane of major interest.
CitationPostmenopausal advanced breast cancer: options for therapy after tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors. 2006, 15 (5):584-94 Breast
- Are aromatase inhibitors superior to antiestrogens?
- Authors: Howell A, Buzdar A
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Life following aromatase inhibitors--where now for endocrine sequencing?
- Authors: Johnston SR, Martin LA, Dowsett M
- Issue date: 2005
- Are all aromatase inhibitors the same? A review of controlled clinical trials in breast cancer.
- Authors: Berry J
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Fulvestrant: expanding the endocrine treatment options for patients with hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Chia S, Gradishar W
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Safety considerations of adjuvant therapy in early breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Authors: Gradishar WJ
- Issue date: 2005