A phase 2 trial of the FLT3 inhibitor lestaurtinib (CEP701) as first-line treatment for older patients with acute myeloid leukemia not considered fit for intensive chemotherapy.
Burnett, Alan K
Kell, W Jonathan
Clark, Richard E
Levis, Mark J
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XW, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractActivating mutations of FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3 (FLT3) are present in approximately one third of patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and are associated with adverse prognosis. The important role played by FLT3 in the survival and proliferation of blasts, and its overexpression in most patients with AML, make FLT3 an attractive therapeutic target. We undertook a phase 2 trial of the FLT3-selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor lestaurtinib (CEP701) used as monotherapy in untreated older patients with AML not considered fit for intensive chemotherapy, irrespective of FLT3 mutation status. Lestaurtinib was administered orally for 8 weeks, initially at a dose of 60 mg twice daily, escalating to 80 mg twice daily, and was generally well tolerated. Clinical activity, manifest as transient reductions in bone marrow and peripheral-blood blasts or longer periods of transfusion independence, was seen in 3 (60%) of 5 patients with mutated FLT3 and 5 (23%) of 22 evaluable wild-type FLT3 patients. Laboratory data demonstrated that clinical responses occurred where the presence of sustained FLT3-inhibitory drug levels were combined with in vitro cytotoxic sensitivity of blasts to lestaurtinib. Further evaluation of this compound, in combination with cytotoxic chemotherapy or other targeted agents, is warranted in both FLT3 mutant and wild-type patients.
CitationA phase 2 trial of the FLT3 inhibitor lestaurtinib (CEP701) as first-line treatment for older patients with acute myeloid leukemia not considered fit for intensive chemotherapy. 2006, 108 (10):3262-70 Blood
- Single-agent CEP-701, a novel FLT3 inhibitor, shows biologic and clinical activity in patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Smith BD, Levis M, Beran M, Giles F, Kantarjian H, Berg K, Murphy KM, Dauses T, Allebach J, Small D
- Issue date: 2004 May 15
- FLT3 inhibition in acute myeloid leukaemia.
- Authors: Knapper S
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Detailed analysis of FLT3 expression levels in acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Kuchenbauer F, Kern W, Schoch C, Kohlmann A, Hiddemann W, Haferlach T, Schnittger S
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- In vitro activity of the flt3-inhibitor su5614 and standard cytotoxic agents in tumour cells from patients with wild type and mutated flt3 acute myeloid leukaemia.
- Authors: Aleskog A, Höglund M, Pettersson J, Hermansson M, Larsson R, Lindhagen E
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- A randomized assessment of adding the kinase inhibitor lestaurtinib to first-line chemotherapy for FLT3-mutated AML.
- Authors: Knapper S, Russell N, Gilkes A, Hills RK, Gale RE, Cavenagh JD, Jones G, Kjeldsen L, Grunwald MR, Thomas I, Konig H, Levis MJ, Burnett AK
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 2