Salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma: a review of chemotherapy and molecular therapies.
AffiliationManchester University Medical School, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) accounts for about 1% of all head and neck malignancies. It has a tendency for a prolonged clinical course, with local recurrences and distant metastases sometimes occurring many years after presentation. Standard treatment for salivary gland ACC is surgery and post-operative radiotherapy. The aim of this review was to examine the reported efficacy of various chemotherapy regimens and molecular therapies on recurrent/metastatic salivary gland ACC. One hundred and fourteen publications were reviewed on chemotherapy as well as possible molecular targets of therapy, including KIT, epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), human epidermal growth receptor-2 (HER-2), oestrogen and progesterone receptors, proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA), Ki-67 and the p53, bcl-2 and SOX-4 genes. Reported response rates to combination chemotherapy are low and response duration generally short lived. The response to molecular therapies is low also. More research into novel molecular targets is needed.
CitationSalivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma: a review of chemotherapy and molecular therapies. 2006, 42 (8):759-69 Oral Oncol.
- Concomitant inhibition of epidermal growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine kinases reduces growth and metastasis of human salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma in an orthotopic nude mouse model.
- Authors: Younes MN, Park YW, Yazici YD, Gu M, Santillan AA, Nong X, Kim S, Jasser SA, El-Naggar AK, Myers JN
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Imatinib mesylate in patients with adenoid cystic cancers of the salivary glands expressing c-kit: a Princess Margaret Hospital phase II consortium study.
- Authors: Hotte SJ, Winquist EW, Lamont E, MacKenzie M, Vokes E, Chen EX, Brown S, Pond GR, Murgo A, Siu LL
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 20
- Chemotherapy and targeted therapy in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: a review.
- Authors: Papaspyrou G, Hoch S, Rinaldo A, Rodrigo JP, Takes RP, van Herpen C, Werner JA, Ferlito A
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Epirubicin, cisplatin and protracted venous infusion 5-Fluorouracil chemotherapy for advanced salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma.
- Authors: Ross PJ, Teoh EM, A'hern RP, Rhys-Evans PH, Harrington KJ, Nutting CM, Gore ME
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Imatinib mesylate as treatment for adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands: report of two successfully treated cases.
- Authors: Alcedo JC, Fábrega JM, Arosemena JR, Urrutia A
- Issue date: 2004 Sep