Silent growth hormone secreting pituitary adenomas: IGF-1 is not sufficient to exclude growth hormone excess.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, University of Manchester, Salford NHS Trust, Salford M6 8HD, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCirculating insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) is increasingly being used as a screening test and in ongoing monitoring of treated acromegaly. We here present three cases of women (two of whom were on the oestrogen containing contraceptive pill at the time of presentation) who had normal circulating IGF-1 and no overt clinical features of acromegaly at the time of their pituitary surgery. Postoperatively, all were confirmed to have growth hormone excess in keeping with the presence of active somatotroph pituitary adenomas. We suggest that for optimal patient management, formal evaluation of growth hormone status with oral glucose tolerance testing should ideally be performed on all individuals for whom pituitary surgery is planned.
CitationSilent growth hormone secreting pituitary adenomas: IGF-1 is not sufficient to exclude growth hormone excess. 2007, 44 (Pt 1):89-93 Ann. Clin. Biochem.
JournalAnnals of Clinical Biochemistry
- Decrease in growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 release and amelioration of acromegaly features after rosiglitazone treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus a patient with acromegaly.
- Authors: Gradiser M, Matovinovic M, Vrkljan M
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- The PPAR-gamma activator rosiglitazone fails to lower plasma growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-1 levels in patients with acromegaly.
- Authors: Bastemir M, Akin F, Yaylali GF
- Issue date: 2007
- Spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea as the initial presentation of growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenoma.
- Authors: Makin V, Hatipoglu B, Hamrahian AH, Arrossi AV, Knott PD, Lee JH, Sade B
- Issue date: 2011 Sep-Oct
- Metabolic glucose status and pituitary pathology portend therapeutic outcomes in acromegaly.
- Authors: Cheng S, Al-Agha R, Araujo PB, Serri O, L Asa S, Ezzat S
- Issue date: 2013
- Dynamic testing in the diagnosis and follow-up of patients with acromegaly.
- Authors: Wass JA
- Issue date: 2003