Concurrent irinotecan, oxaliplatin and UFT in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: a phase I study.
AuthorsSheikh, Hamid Y
Valle, Juan W
Saunders, Mark P
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe feasibility of combining UFT plus leucovorin (LV) with alternating irinotecan and oxaliplatin was investigated in the first-line treatment of patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Twenty-five patients, median age 63 (range 24-79) years, World Health Organisation performance status 0-2 and median four marker lesions, received irinotecan 180 mg m(-2) on day 1, oxaliplatin 85-100 mg m(-2) on day 15 and UFT 200-300 mg m(-2) day(-1) with LV 90 mg day(-1), days 1-21 of a 28-day cycle. Patients were treated in cohorts of three. At the highest dose (irinotecan 180 mg m(-2), oxaliplatin 100 mg m(-2) and UFT 300 mg m(-2) day(-1)), three of four patients experienced grade 3 toxicity. Diarrhoea, lethargy and vomiting were dose-limiting. Three of nine patients had grade 2 toxicities at the maximum tolerated dose (irinotecan 180 mg m(-2), oxaliplatin 100 mg m(-2) and UFT 250 mg m(-2) day(-1)). There were no grade 3 toxicities in the first month of therapy. The overall response rate was 71% in 21 evaluable patients; progression-free survival was 8.8 months. Alternating irinotecan and oxaliplatin plus UFT is an effective and well-tolerated first-line treatment for patients with advanced colorectal cancer. We recommend a dose of irinotecan 180 mg m(-2) on day 1, oxaliplatin 100 mg m(-2) on day 15 and UFT 250 mg m(-2) day(-1) with LV 90 mg day(-1) on days 1-21 of a 28-day cycle for future studies.
CitationConcurrent irinotecan, oxaliplatin and UFT in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: a phase I study. 2007, 96 (1):38-43 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- UFT/leucovorin and oxaliplatin alternated with UFT/leucovorin and irinotecan in metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Petrioli R, Sabatino M, Fiaschi AI, Marsili S, Pozzessere D, Messinese S, Correale P, Civitelli S, Tanzini G, Tani F, De Martino A, Marzocca G, Lorenzi M, Giorgi G, Francini G
- Issue date: 2004 Jan 26
- A phase I/II study of oral uracil/tegafur (UFT), leucovorin and irinotecan in patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Mackay HJ, Hill M, Twelves C, Glasspool R, Price T, Campbell S, Massey A, Macham MA, Uzzel M, Bailey SM, Martin C, Cunningham D
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Phase I trial of UFT/leucovorin and irinotecan in patients with advanced cancer.
- Authors: Veronese ML, Stevenson JP, Sun W, Redlinger M, Algazy K, Giantonio B, Hahn S, Vaughn D, Thorn C, Whitehead AS, Haller DG, O'Dwyer PJ
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Alternating irinotecan with oxaliplatin combined with UFT plus leucovorin (SCOUT) in metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Sheikh HY, Valle JW, Waddell T, Palmer K, Wilson G, Sjursen A, Craven O, Swindell R, Saunders MP
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 19
- UFT/leucovorin plus irinotecan in advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Price T, Hill M
- Issue date: 2000 Oct