Clinical quantitation of diagnostic and predictive gene expression levels in follicular and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by RT-PCR gene expression profiling.
Hoyland, Judith A
Menasce, Lia P
Miller, Crispin J
Radford, John A
Byers, Richard J
AffiliationDivision of Regenerative Medicine, School of Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent microarray gene expression profiling studies have identified gene signatures predictive of outcome, so-called "indicator" genes, for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) and follicular lymphoma (FL). However, measurement of these genes in routine practice remains difficult. We applied real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to polyA cDNAs prepared from 106 archived human frozen lymph nodes (63 of FL, 25 of DLBCL, 10 reactive lymph nodes, and cases with paired samples of FL  and subsequent DLBCL ). Reverse transcription and polyA reverse transcriptase (RT)-PCR was performed, and resultant cDNA was probed by real-time PCR for 36 candidate indicator genes, selected from microarray studies. Nine genes showed statistically significant different expression between FL and DLBCL, including cyclin B, COL3A1, NPM3, H731, PRKCB1, OVGL, ZFPC150, HLA-DQ-a, and XPB. Of these, cyclin B, NPM3, and COL3A1 were higher in DLBCL. Six genes showed statistically significant higher expression in the neoplastic nodes compared with reactive nodes, namely PRKCB1, BCL-6, EAR2, ZFX, cyclin B, YY1. High levels of YY.1 were associated with a shorter survival interval in both FL and DLBCL. The method is simple, sensitive, and robust, facilitating routine use and may be used as a platform for clinical measurement of prognostic gene signatures.
CitationClinical quantitation of diagnostic and predictive gene expression levels in follicular and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by RT-PCR gene expression profiling. 2007, 109 (9):3922-8 Blood
- Gene expression profile of serial samples of transformed B-cell lymphomas.
- Authors: de Vos S, Hofmann WK, Grogan TM, Krug U, Schrage M, Miller TP, Braun JG, Wachsman W, Koeffler HP, Said JW
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Transformed diffuse large B-cell lymphomas with gains of the discontinuous 12q12-14 amplicon display concurrent deregulation of CDK2, CDK4 and GADD153 genes.
- Authors: Al-Assar O, Rees-Unwin KS, Menasce LP, Hough RE, Goepel JR, Hammond DW, Hancock BW
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Clinical quantitation of immune signature in follicular lymphoma by RT-PCR-based gene expression profiling.
- Authors: Byers RJ, Sakhinia E, Joseph P, Glennie C, Hoyland JA, Menasce LP, Radford JA, Illidge T
- Issue date: 2008 May 1
- Molecular diagnosis of lymphoma: outcome prediction by gene expression profiling in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Last K, Debarnardi S, Lister TA
- Issue date: 2005
- Polymerase chain reaction detection of cells carrying t(14;18) in bone marrow of patients with follicular and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: the importance of analysis at diagnosis and significance of long-term follow-up.
- Authors: Papajík T, Jedlicková K, Kriegová E, Jarosová M, Raida L, Faber E, Hubácek J, Vondráková J, Pikalová Z, Indrák K
- Issue date: 2001