Novel vectors for homologous recombination strategies in mouse embryonic stem cells: an ES cell line expressing EGFP under control of the 5T4 promoter.
AffiliationStem Cell Biology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of gene mutation/knock-out strategies in mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells has revolutionized the study of gene function in ES cells and embryonic development. However, the construction of vectors for homologous recombination strategies requires considerable expertise and time. We describe two novel vectors that can generate site specific knock-out or EGFP knock-in ES cells within 6 weeks from construct design to identification of positive ES cell clones. As proof-of-principle, we have utilized the knock-out targeting vector to modify the NEIL2 locus in ES cells. In addition, using the knock-in vector, we have inserted EGFP downstream of the 5T4 oncofetal antigen promoter in ES cells (5T4-GFP ES cells). Undifferentiated 5T4-GFP ES cells lack EGFP and maintain expression of the pluripotent markers OCT-4 and NANOG. Upon differentiation, EGFP expression is increased in 5T4-GFP ES cells and this correlates with 5T4 transcript expression of the unmodified allele, loss of Nanog and Oct-4 transcripts and upregulation of differentiation-associated transcripts. Furthermore, we demonstrate that fluorescent activated cell sorting of 5T4-GFP ES cells allows isolation of pluripotent or differentiated cells from a heterogeneous population. These vectors provide researchers with a rapid method of modifying specific ES cell genes to study cellular differentiation and embryonic development.
CitationNovel vectors for homologous recombination strategies in mouse embryonic stem cells: an ES cell line expressing EGFP under control of the 5T4 promoter. 2007, 313 (16):3604-15 Exp. Cell Res.
JournalExperimental Cell Research
- Connexin 40 promoter-based enrichment of embryonic stem cell-derived cardiovascular progenitor cells.
- Authors: David R, Theiss H, Franz WM
- Issue date: 2008
- Applying a "double-feature" promoter to identify cardiomyocytes differentiated from human embryonic stem cells following transposon-based gene delivery.
- Authors: Orbán TI, Apáti A, Németh A, Varga N, Krizsik V, Schamberger A, Szebényi K, Erdei Z, Várady G, Karászi E, Homolya L, Német K, Gócza E, Miskey C, Mátés L, Ivics Z, Izsvák Z, Sarkadi B
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Identifying genes preferentially expressed in undifferentiated embryonic stem cells.
- Authors: Li X, Leder P
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 28
- Cell surface 5T4 antigen is transiently upregulated during early human embryonic stem cell differentiation: effect of 5T4 phenotype on neural lineage formation.
- Authors: Ward CM, Eastham AM, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 10
- Stable suppression of gene expression in murine embryonic stem cells by RNAi directed from DNA vector-based short hairpin RNA.
- Authors: Tang FC, Meng GL, Yang HB, Li CJ, Shi Y, Ding MX, Shang KG, Zhang B, Xue YF
- Issue date: 2004