AffiliationZentrum für Molekulare Biologie der Universität Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSpindle elongation in anaphase of mitosis is a cell cycle-regulated process that requires coordination between polymerization, cross-linking, and sliding of microtubules (MTs). Proteins that assemble at the spindle midzone may be important for this process. In this study, we show that Ase1 and the separase-Slk19 complex drive midzone assembly in yeast. Whereas the conserved MT-bundling protein Ase1 establishes a midzone, separase-Slk19 is required to focus and center midzone components. An important step leading to spindle midzone assembly is the dephosphorylation of Ase1 by the protein phosphatase Cdc14 at the beginning of anaphase. Failure to dephosphorylate Ase1 delocalizes midzone proteins and delays the second, slower phase of anaphase B. In contrast, in cells expressing nonphosphorylated Ase1, anaphase spindle extension is faster, and spindles frequently break. Cdc14 also controls the separase-Slk19 complex indirectly via the Aurora B kinase. Thus, Cdc14 regulates spindle midzone assembly and function directly through Ase1 and indirectly via the separase-Slk19 complex.
CitationCdc14-regulated midzone assembly controls anaphase B. 2007, 177 (6):981-93 J. Cell Biol.
JournalThe Journal of Cell Biology
- Separase regulates INCENP-Aurora B anaphase spindle function through Cdc14.
- Authors: Pereira G, Schiebel E
- Issue date: 2003 Dec 19
- Assembling the spindle midzone in the right place at the right time.
- Authors: Khmelinskii A, Schiebel E
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 1
- Ase1/Prc1-dependent spindle elongation corrects merotely during anaphase in fission yeast.
- Authors: Courtheoux T, Gay G, Gachet Y, Tournier S
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 2
- Phospho-regulation of the Cdc14/Clp1 phosphatase delays late mitotic events in S. pombe.
- Authors: Wolfe BA, McDonald WH, Yates JR 3rd, Gould KL
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Phosphorylation-dependent protein interactions at the spindle midzone mediate cell cycle regulation of spindle elongation.
- Authors: Khmelinskii A, Roostalu J, Roque H, Antony C, Schiebel E
- Issue date: 2009 Aug