Visualization of the nucleus and nuclear envelope in situ by SEM in tissue culture cells.
AuthorsAllen, Terence D
Rutherford, Sandra A
Murray, Stephen M
Goldberg, Martin W
Drummond, Sheona P
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOur previous work characterizing the biogenesis and structural integrity of the nuclear envelope and nuclear pore complexes (NPCs) has been based on amphibian material but has recently progressed into the analysis of tissue-culture cells. This protocol describes methods for the high resolution visualization, by field-emission scanning electron microscopy (FESEM), of the nucleus and associated structures in tissue culture cells. Imaging by fluorescence light microscopy shows general nuclear and NPC information at a resolution of approximately 200 nm, in contrast to the 3-5 nm resolution provided by FESEM or transmission electron microscopy (TEM), which generates detail at the macromolecular level. The protocols described here are applicable to all tissue culture cell lines tested to date (HeLa, A6, DLD, XTC and NIH 3T3). The processed cells can be stored long term under vacuum. The protocol can be completed in 5 d, including 3 d for cell growth, 1 d for processing and 1 d for imaging.
CitationVisualization of the nucleus and nuclear envelope in situ by SEM in tissue culture cells. 2007, 2 (5):1180-4 Nat Protoc
- A protocol for isolating Xenopus oocyte nuclear envelope for visualization and characterization by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) or transmission electron microscopy (TEM).
- Authors: Allen TD, Rutherford SA, Murray S, Sanderson HS, Gardiner F, Kiseleva E, Goldberg MW, Drummond SP
- Issue date: 2007
- A protocol for isolation and visualization of yeast nuclei by scanning electron microscopy (SEM).
- Authors: Kiseleva E, Allen TD, Rutherford SA, Murray S, Morozova K, Gardiner F, Goldberg MW, Drummond SP
- Issue date: 2007
- Scanning electron microscopy of nuclear structure.
- Authors: Allen TD, Rutherford SA, Murray S, Drummond SP, Goldberg MW, Kiseleva E
- Issue date: 2008
- Accessing nuclear structure for field emission, in lens, scanning electron microscopy (FEISEM).
- Authors: Allen TD, Bennion GR, Rutherford SA, Reipert S, Ramalho A, Kiseleva E, Goldberg MW
- Issue date: 1996