Cancer incidence patterns by region and socioeconomic deprivation in teenagers and young adults in England.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, Stancliffe, Hospital Road, Manchester M27 4HA, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractData on 35,291 individuals with cancer, aged 13-24 years, in England from 1979 to 2001 were analysed by region and socio-economic deprivation of census ward of residence, as measured by the Townsend deprivation index. The incidence of leukaemia, lymphoma, central nervous system tumours, soft tissue sarcomas, gonadal germ cell tumours, melanoma and carcinomas varied by region (P<0.01, all groups) but bone tumour incidence did not. Lymphomas, central nervous system tumours and gonadal germ cell tumours all had higher incidence in less deprived census wards (P<0.01), while chronic myeloid leukaemia and carcinoma of the cervix had higher incidence in more deprived wards (P<0.01). In the least deprived wards, melanoma incidence was nearly twice that in the most deprived, but this trend varied between regions (P<0.001). These cancer incidence patterns differ from those seen in both children and older adults and have implications for aetiology and prevention.
CitationCancer incidence patterns by region and socioeconomic deprivation in teenagers and young adults in England. 2007, 96 (11):1760-6 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Population mixing for leukaemia, lymphoma and CNS tumours in teenagers and young adults in England, 1996-2005.
- Authors: van Laar M, Stark DP, McKinney P, Parslow RC, Kinsey SE, Picton SV, Feltbower RG
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 23
- Increasing incidence rates of childhood malignant diseases in Sweden during the period 1960-1998.
- Authors: Dreifaldt AC, Carlberg M, Hardell L
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Classification and incidence of cancers in adolescents and young adults in England 1979-1997.
- Authors: Birch JM, Alston RD, Kelsey AM, Quinn MJ, Babb P, McNally RJ
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 18
- Variation in incidence of breast, lung and cervical cancer and malignant melanoma of skin by socioeconomic group in England.
- Authors: Shack L, Jordan C, Thomson CS, Mak V, Møller H, UK Association of Cancer Registries.
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 26
- Trends in the incidence and survival of cancer in teenagers and young adults: regional analysis for South East England 1960-2002.
- Authors: Croucher C, Whelan JS, Møller H, Davies EA
- Issue date: 2009 Jun