Rhabdomyoblastic differentiation in malignant melanoma in adults: report of 2 cases.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo cases of malignant melanoma are reported in adults exhibiting rhabdomyoblastic differentiation to alert pathologists to this rare variant of malignant melanoma. One of the cases presented as a metastasis in a submandibular lymph node, and the other was a primary skin melanoma. There are only a few published reports on melanocytic tumors with rhabdomyoblastic differentiation, mainly occurring in giant congenital nevi. Both cases reported here were confirmed by immunohistochemistry. Both cases were also studied by electron microscopy, and one showed distinctive ultrastructural features of striated muscle.
CitationRhabdomyoblastic differentiation in malignant melanoma in adults: report of 2 cases. 2007, 15 (1):20-5 Int. J. Surg. Pathol.
JournalInternational Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Malignant melanoma with neuroendocrine differentiation: clinical, histological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural features of three cases.
- Authors: Eyden B, Pandit D, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Malignant melanoma with osteoclast-like giant cells: an unusual host response: immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study of three cases and literature review.
- Authors: Al-Brahim N, Salama S
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Subungual malignant melanoma with cartilaginous differentiation.
- Authors: Cachia AR, Kedziora AM
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Combined high-grade basal cell carcinoma and malignant melanoma of the skin ("malignant basomelanocytic tumor"): report of two cases and review of the literature.
- Authors: Rodriguez J, Nonaka D, Kuhn E, Reichel M, Rosai J
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Subungual melanoma: a study of 124 cases highlighting features of early lesions, potential pitfalls in diagnosis, and guidelines for histologic reporting.
- Authors: Tan KB, Moncrieff M, Thompson JF, McCarthy SW, Shaw HM, Quinn MJ, Li LX, Crotty KA, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA
- Issue date: 2007 Dec