Cancer mortality in 13 to 29-year-olds in England and Wales, 1981-2005.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, University of Manchester, Stancliffe, Hospital Road, Manchester M27 4HA, UK. Marco.Geraci@manchester.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe examined cancer mortality at ages 13-29 years in England and Wales between 1981 and 2005, a total of 20 026 deaths over approximately 303 million person-years (mpy) at risk by sex, age group and time period. Overall, the mortality rate was 65.6 per mpy. Malignant neoplasms of the central nervous system showed the highest rate (8.5), followed by myeloid and monocytic leukaemia (6.6), lymphoid leukaemia (6.4), malignant bone tumours (5.4) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (5.2). These groups together accounted for almost 50% of all cancer deaths. The mortality rate for males (72.4) was 23% higher than for females (58.6) (P-value <0.0001). Males showed significantly higher mortality rates than females in almost all diagnostic groups, in general, mortality increasing with age (P-value <0.0001). There were significant decreases in mortality over time, the annual percentage change between 1981 and 2005 being minus 1.86 (95% confidence interval -2.09 to -1.62). Cancer groups with the highest mortality differed from those with the highest incidence.
CitationCancer mortality in 13 to 29-year-olds in England and Wales, 1981-2005. 2007, 97 (11):1588-94 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Classification and incidence of cancers in adolescents and young adults in England 1979-1997.
- Authors: Birch JM, Alston RD, Kelsey AM, Quinn MJ, Babb P, McNally RJ
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 18
- Mortality from childhood stroke in England and Wales, 1921-2000.
- Authors: Mallick AA, Ganesan V, O'Callaghan FJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Pancreatic cancer in England and Wales 1975-2000: patterns and trends in incidence, survival and mortality.
- Authors: Wood HE, Gupta S, Kang JY, Quinn MJ, Maxwell JD, Mudan S, Majeed A
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 15
- Ethnicity and variations in the nation's health.
- Authors: Balarajan R
- Issue date: 1995-1996
- Trends in deaths from respiratory illness in children in England and Wales from 1968 to 2000.
- Authors: Panickar JR, Dodd SR, Smyth RL, Couriel JM
- Issue date: 2005 Dec