The problem of treatment abandonment in children from developing countries with cancer.
AffiliationRoyal Manchester Children's Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: There is an inequality gap between the outcome of childhood cancer in resource, rich and limited countries. Abandonment of treatment is one of the reasons for this. PROCEDURE: We searched the medical literature for evidence on abandonment, its causes, and any preventative interventions. RESULTS: Abandonment is a very real problem all across the developing world. Cancers associated with poorer prognosis seem to have higher abandonment rates. It is also related to the socio-economic and educational status of parents, travel time to treatment centers, and affordable, locally available treatment. CONCLUSIONS: Twinning between institutions, which includes several preventative interventions, has clearly been shown to work.
CitationThe problem of treatment abandonment in children from developing countries with cancer. 2007, 49 (7):941-6 Pediatr Blood Cancer
JournalPediatric Blood & Cancer
- Treatment abandonment is a major hurdle to improving survival in childhood cancer in the developing world.
- Authors: Ramzan M, Yadav SP, Sachdeva A
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Improving outcomes for children with cancer in low-income countries in Latin America: a report on the recent meetings of the Monza International School of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (MISPHO)-Part I.
- Authors: Howard SC, Marinoni M, Castillo L, Bonilla M, Tognoni G, Luna-Fineman S, Antillon F, Valsecchi MG, Pui CH, Ribeiro RC, Sala A, Barr RD, Masera G, MISPHO Consortium Writing Committee.
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Antiepileptic drugs in children in developing countries: research and treatment guideline needs.
- Authors: Farkhondeh M, Hill SR, Cross JH, Dua T
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Treatment refusal and abandonment in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in Indonesia: an analysis of causes and consequences.
- Authors: Sitaresmi MN, Mostert S, Schook RM, Sutaryo., Veerman AJ
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Between and within: international perspectives on cancer and health disparities.
- Authors: Jones LA, Chilton JA, Hajek RA, Iammarino NK, Laufman L
- Issue date: 2006 May 10