Exploiting sample variability to enhance multivariate analysis of microarray data
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Cancer Research UK, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMOTIVATION: Biological and technical variability is intrinsic in any microarray experiment. While most approaches aim to account for this variability, they do not actively exploit it. Here, we consider a novel approach that uses the variability between arrays to provide an extra source of information that can enhance gene expression analyses. RESULTS: We develop a method that uses sample similarity to incorporate sample variability into the analysis of gene expression profiles. This allows each pairwise correlation calculation to borrow information from all the data in the experiment. Results on synthetic and human cancer microarray datasets show that the inclusion of this information leads to a significant increase in the ability to identify previously characterized relationships and a reduction in false discovery rate, when compared to a standard analysis using Pearson correlation. The information carried by the variability between arrays can be exploited to significantly improve the analysis of gene expression data. AVAILABILITY: Matlab script files are available from the author. SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online.
CitationExploiting sample variability to enhance multivariate analysis of microarray data. 2007, 23 (20):2733-40 Bioinformatics
- Bayesian mixture model based clustering of replicated microarray data.
- Authors: Medvedovic M, Yeung KY, Bumgarner RE
- Issue date: 2004 May 22
- Practical FDR-based sample size calculations in microarray experiments.
- Authors: Hu J, Zou F, Wright FA
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1
- A distribution free summarization method for Affymetrix GeneChip arrays.
- Authors: Chen Z, McGee M, Liu Q, Scheuermann RH
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 1
- Multidimensional local false discovery rate for microarray studies.
- Authors: Ploner A, Calza S, Gusnanto A, Pawitan Y
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 1
- A statistical framework for the design of microarray experiments and effective detection of differential gene expression.
- Authors: Zhang SD, Gant TW
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 1