Mrc1 and Tof1 regulate DNA replication forks in different ways during normal S phase.
AffiliationCancer Research U.K., Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Mrc1 and Tof1 proteins are conserved throughout evolution, and in budding yeast they are known to associate with the MCM helicase and regulate the progression of DNA replication forks. Previous work has shown that Mrc1 is important for the activation of checkpoint kinases in responses to defects in S phase, but both Mrc1 and Tof1 also regulate the normal process of chromosome replication. Here, we show that these two important factors control the normal progression of DNA replication forks in distinct ways. The rate of progression of DNA replication forks is greatly reduced in the absence of Mrc1 but much less affected by loss of Tof1. In contrast, Tof1 is critical for DNA replication forks to pause at diverse chromosomal sites where nonnucleosomal proteins bind very tightly to DNA, and this role is not shared with Mrc1.
CitationMrc1 and Tof1 regulate DNA replication forks in different ways during normal S phase. 2007, 18 (10):3894-902 Mol. Biol. Cell
JournalMolecular Biology of the Cell
- Molecular anatomy and regulation of a stable replisome at a paused eukaryotic DNA replication fork.
- Authors: Calzada A, Hodgson B, Kanemaki M, Bueno A, Labib K
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 15
- Csm3, Tof1, and Mrc1 form a heterotrimeric mediator complex that associates with DNA replication forks.
- Authors: Bando M, Katou Y, Komata M, Tanaka H, Itoh T, Sutani T, Shirahige K
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 4
- S-phase checkpoint proteins Tof1 and Mrc1 form a stable replication-pausing complex.
- Authors: Katou Y, Kanoh Y, Bando M, Noguchi H, Tanaka H, Ashikari T, Sugimoto K, Shirahige K
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 28
- GINS maintains association of Cdc45 with MCM in replisome progression complexes at eukaryotic DNA replication forks.
- Authors: Gambus A, Jones RC, Sanchez-Diaz A, Kanemaki M, van Deursen F, Edmondson RD, Labib K
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Mrc1 and DNA polymerase epsilon function together in linking DNA replication and the S phase checkpoint.
- Authors: Lou H, Komata M, Katou Y, Guan Z, Reis CC, Budd M, Shirahige K, Campbell JL
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 10