Tracer kinetic model-driven registration for dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI time-series data.
AuthorsBuonaccorsi, Giovanni A
O'Connor, James P B
Jayson, Gordon C
Parker, Geoff J M
AffiliationImaging Science and Biomedical Engineering, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDynamic contrast-enhanced MRI (DCE-MRI) time series data are subject to unavoidable physiological motion during acquisition (e.g., due to breathing) and this motion causes significant errors when fitting tracer kinetic models to the data, particularly with voxel-by-voxel fitting approaches. Motion correction is problematic, as contrast enhancement introduces new features into postcontrast images and conventional registration similarity measures cannot fully account for the increased image information content. A methodology is presented for tracer kinetic model-driven registration that addresses these problems by explicitly including a model of contrast enhancement in the registration process. The iterative registration procedure is focused on a tumor volume of interest (VOI), employing a three-dimensional (3D) translational transformation that follows only tumor motion. The implementation accurately removes motion corruption in a DCE-MRI software phantom and it is able to reduce model fitting errors and improve localization in 3D parameter maps in patient data sets that were selected for significant motion problems. Sufficient improvement was observed in the modeling results to salvage clinical trial DCE-MRI data sets that would otherwise have to be rejected due to motion corruption.
CitationTracer kinetic model-driven registration for dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI time-series data. 2007, 58 (5):1010-9 Magn Reson Med
JournalMagnetic Resonance in Medicine
- Comparison of the performance of tracer kinetic model-driven registration for dynamic contrast enhanced MRI using different models of contrast enhancement.
- Authors: Buonaccorsi GA, Roberts C, Cheung S, Watson Y, O'Connor JP, Davies K, Jackson A, Jayson GC, Parker GJ
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Tracer kinetic model-driven registration for dynamic contrast enhanced MRI time series.
- Authors: Buonaccorsi GA, Roberts C, Cheung S, Watson Y, Davies K, Jackson A, Jayson GC, Parker GJ
- Issue date: 2005
- Automated registration of sequential breath-hold dynamic contrast-enhanced MR images: a comparison of three techniques.
- Authors: Rajaraman S, Rodriguez JJ, Graff C, Altbach MI, Dragovich T, Sirlin CB, Korn RL, Raghunand N
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Impact of nonrigid motion correction technique on pixel-wise pharmacokinetic analysis of free-breathing pulmonary dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging.
- Authors: Tokuda J, Mamata H, Gill RR, Hata N, Kikinis R, Padera RF Jr, Lenkinski RE, Sugarbaker DJ, Hatabu H
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Fundamentals of tracer kinetics for dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI.
- Authors: Koh TS, Bisdas S, Koh DM, Thng CH
- Issue date: 2011 Dec