AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe nuclear envelope consists of two membranes traversed by nuclear pore complexes. The outer membrane is continuous with the endoplasmic reticulum. At mitosis nuclear pore complexes are dismantled and membranes disperse. The mechanism of dispersal is controversial: one view is that membranes feed into the endoplasmic reticulum, another is that they vesiculate. Using Xenopus egg extracts, nuclei have been assembled and then induced to breakdown by addition of metaphase extract. Field emission scanning electron microscopy was used to study disassembly. Strikingly, endoplasmic reticulum-like membrane tubules form from the nuclear surface after the addition of metaphase extracts, but vesicles were also observed. Microtubule inhibitors slowed but did not prevent membrane removal, whereas Brefeldin A, which inhibits vesicle formation, stops membrane disassembly, suggesting that vesiculation is necessary. Structures that looked like coated buds were observed and buds were labelled for beta-COP. We show that nuclear pore complexes are dismantled and the pore closed prior to membrane rupturing, suggesting that rupturing is an active process rather than a result of enlargement of nuclear pores.
CitationNuclear membrane disassembly and rupture. 2007, 369 (3):683-95 J. Mol. Biol.
JournalJournal of Molecular Biology
- Nuclear envelope assembly in Xenopus extracts visualized by scanning EM reveals a transport-dependent 'envelope smoothing' event.
- Authors: Wiese C, Goldberg MW, Allen TD, Wilson KL
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- ARF is not required for nuclear vesicle fusion or mitotic membrane disassembly in vitro: evidence for a non-ARF GTPase in fusion.
- Authors: Gant TM, Wilson KL
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- NEP-A and NEP-B both contribute to nuclear pore formation in Xenopus eggs and oocytes.
- Authors: Salpingidou G, Rzepecki R, Kiseleva E, Lyon C, Lane B, Fusiek K, Golebiewska A, Drummond S, Allen T, Ellis JA, Smythe C, Goldberg MW, Hutchison CJ
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 1
- Sorting nuclear membrane proteins at mitosis.
- Authors: Collas P, Courvalin JC
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Steps of nuclear pore complex disassembly and reassembly during mitosis in early Drosophila embryos.
- Authors: Kiseleva E, Rutherford S, Cotter LM, Allen TD, Goldberg MW
- Issue date: 2001 Oct