AffiliationStem Cell and Leukaemia Proteomics Laboratory, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital, Kinnaird House, Kinnaird Road, Withington, Manchester, UK M20 4QL. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProteomics technologies are emerging as a useful tool in the identification of disease biomarkers, and in defining and characterising both normal physiological and disease processes. Many cellular changes in protein expression in response to an external stimulus or mutation can only be characterised at the proteome level. In these cases protein expression is often controlled by altered rates of translation and/or degradation, making proteomics an important tool in the analysis of biological systems. In the leukaemias, post-translational modification of proteins (e.g. phosphorylation, acetylation) plays a key role in the molecular pathology of the disease: such modifications can now be detected with novel proteomic methods. In a clinical setting, serum remains a relatively un-mined source of information for prognosis and response to therapy. This protein rich fluid represents an opportunity for proteomics research to benefit hematologists and others. In this review, we discuss the technologies available for the study of the proteome that offer realistic opportunities in haematology.
CitationHow will haematologists use proteomics? 2007, 21 (6):315-26 Blood Rev.
- Approaching clinical proteomics: current state and future fields of application in cellular proteomics.
- Authors: Apweiler R, Aslanidis C, Deufel T, Gerstner A, Hansen J, Hochstrasser D, Kellner R, Kubicek M, Lottspeich F, Maser E, Mewes HW, Meyer HE, Müllner S, Mutter W, Neumaier M, Nollau P, Nothwang HG, Ponten F, Radbruch A, Reinert K, Rothe G, Stockinger H, Tárnok A, Taussig MJ, Thiel A, Thiery J, Ueffing M, Valet G, Vandekerckhove J, Wagener C, Wagner O, Schmitz G
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Membrane proteomics for leukemia classification and drug target identification.
- Authors: Kohnke PL, Mulligan SP, Christopherson RI
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Recent advances in blood-related proteomics.
- Authors: Thadikkaran L, Siegenthaler MA, Crettaz D, Queloz PA, Schneider P, Tissot JD
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Proteomic profiling from human samples: the body fluid alternative.
- Authors: Kennedy S
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 31
- Current proteomic analysis and post-translational modifications of biomarkers in human lung cancer materials.
- Authors: Sinchaikul S, Hongsachart P, Sriyam S, Tantipaiboonwong P, Phutrakul S, Chen ST
- Issue date: 2008 Sep-Oct