The experiences of teenagers and young adults with cancer--results of 2004 conference survey
AffiliationTeenage Cancer Trust--Young Oncology Unit, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester, M20 3BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn 2004, 350 teenagers and young adults (TYAs) attended the third Find Your Sense of Tumour Conference for cancer patients. This provided a unique opportunity to survey a large group of patients regarding their cancer experience. Analysis of the results showed that delegates had both positive and negative experiences of the cancer journey and had clear views regarding service provision. The survey showed that the majority of TYAs with or who have had cancer would like to be treated on a specialist unit. There are currently 7 Teenage and Young Adult Units developed by Teenage Cancer Trust within the UK; however, a large number of patients do not have access to these specialist services. Despite the increased attention to TYA health needs there are still a number of issues relating to cancer services that need addressing as a matter of urgency in order to ensure that future patients receive a timely diagnosis, together with appropriate care that meets the specific needs of this unique client group.
CitationThe experiences of teenagers and young adults with cancer--results of 2004 conference survey. 2007, 11 (4):362-8 Eur J Oncol Nurs
JournalEuropean Journal of Oncology Nursing
- Experiences of teenagers and young adults treated for cancer in Sweden.
- Authors: Olsson M, Jarfelt M, Pergert P, Enskär K
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Adolescent units-an evidence-based approach to quality nursing in adolescent care.
- Authors: Smith S
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Cancer Patient Experience in the Teenage Young Adult Population- Key Issues and Trends Over Time: An Analysis of the United Kingdom National Cancer Patient Experience Surveys 2010-2014.
- Authors: Furness CL, Smith L, Morris E, Brocklehurst C, Daly S, Hough RE
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Where should teenagers with cancer be treated?
- Authors: Whelan J
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- How Do Teenagers and Young Adults with Cancer Experience Their Care? A European Survey.
- Authors: Jones LJ, Pini SA, Morgan SJ, Birk GK, Stark DP
- Issue date: 2017 Mar