The prophylaxis and treatment of heterotopic ossification following lower limb arthroplasty
AffiliationWrightington Hospital, Wigan and the University of Manchester, Manchester, England. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeterotopic ossification following joint replacement in the lower limb occurs in 3% to 90% of cases. Higher grades of heterotopic ossification can result in significant limitation of function and can negate the benefits of joint replacement. The understanding of the pathophysiology of this condition has improved in recent years. It would appear to be related to a combination of systemic and local factors, including over-expression of bone morphogenetic protein-4. There is currently little evidence to support the routine use of prophylaxis for heterotopic ossification in arthroplasty patients, but prophylaxis is recommended by some for high-risk patients. Radiotherapy given as one dose of 7 Gy to 8 Gy, either pre-operatively (< four hours before) or post-operatively (within 72 hours of surgery), appears to be more effective than indometacin therapy (75 mg daily for six weeks). In cases of prophylaxis against recurrent heterotopic ossification following excision, recent work has suggested that a combination of radiotherapy and indometacin is effective. Advances in our understanding of this condition may permit the development of newer, safer treatment modalities.
CitationThe prophylaxis and treatment of heterotopic ossification following lower limb arthroplasty. 2007, 89 (4):434-40 J Bone Joint Surg Br
JournalThe Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Indomethacin versus radiation therapy for heterotopic ossification after hip arthroplasty.
- Authors: D'Lima DD, Venn-Watson EJ, Tripuraneni P, Colwell CW
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Heterotopic ossification in patients after total hip replacement.
- Authors: Stołtny T, Koczy B, Wawrzynek W, Miszczyk L
- Issue date: 2007 May-Jun
- Pharmacological treatment of heterotopic ossification following hip and acetabular surgery.
- Authors: Macfarlane RJ, Ng BH, Gamie Z, El Masry MA, Velonis S, Schizas C, Tsiridis E
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Prevention of heterotopic ossification about the hip: final results of two randomized trials in 410 patients using either preoperative or postoperative radiation therapy.
- Authors: Seegenschmiedt MH, Keilholz L, Martus P, Goldmann A, Wölfel R, Henning F, Sauer R
- Issue date: 1997 Aug 1
- Preoperative irradiation versus the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for prevention of heterotopic ossification following total hip replacement: the results of a randomized trial.
- Authors: Kölbl O, Knelles D, Barthel T, Raunecker F, Flentje M, Eulert J
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 1