Cervical paraganglioma--a case report and review of all cases reported to the Manchester Children's Tumour Registry 1954-2004
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatric and Adolescent Oncology, Central Manchester and Manchester Children's University Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report a 6-year-old male with left-sided ptosis, aniscoria and an initially missed slow growing left-sided neck mass, which was surgically excised when he was 9 years old and confirmed to be a paraganglioma. Seven years later he developed recurrent symptoms and was found to have a recurrence in the anterior mediastinum. We also report on all cases of cervical paragangliomas registered with the Manchester Children's Tumour Registry (MCTR) for the 50-year period 1954-2004. Paragangliomas are very rare tumours in the head and neck but should be considered in the differential diagnosis of neck masses especially when presenting with Horner syndrome. Recurrent symptoms and signs of hypertension herald recurrence. As these tumours can form part of a familial syndrome, long-term follow-up is necessary. Family members should be screened for early detection.
CitationCervical paraganglioma--a case report and review of all cases reported to the Manchester Children's Tumour Registry 1954-2004. 2007, 48 (1):112-6 Pediatr Blood Cancer
JournalPediatric Blood Cancer
- Sympathetic paraganglioma as an unusual cause of Horner's syndrome.
- Authors: Moyer JS, Bradford CR
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Sympathetic paraganglioma presenting with Horner's syndrome in a child.
- Authors: Kansal A, Lahiri A, Nishikawa H
- Issue date: 2006
- Recurrent familial malignant carotid body tumour presenting with lymph node metastasis: case report, and review of diagnosis and management of familial carotid body tumours.
- Authors: Hall TC, Renwick P, Stafford ND
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Multicentric paragangliomas associated with Carney triad.
- Authors: Kiser M, Caudle A, von Allmen D
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Surgical treatment of paragangliomas of the neck.
- Authors: Marchesi M, Biffoni M, Nobili-Benedetti R, Jaus MO, Tartaglia F, De Antoni E, D'Andrea V, Biancari F, Campana FP
- Issue date: 1997 Oct-Dec