Information needs of the informal carers of women treated for breast cancer
AffiliationSchool of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work, University of Manchester, Coupland Street, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough the vital role of informal carers has been acknowledged in government policy documents in the UK, the information needs of informal carers are not well documented. There is also uncertainty about where carers get their information from and whether they are satisfied with the information they receive. This study aimed to examine the information needs and sources of information for informal carers in the acute cancer setting; the informal carers of a sample of women treated for breast cancer. Both quantitative and qualitative data were collected from semi-structured interviews with 50 informal carers. Measures of information needs and sources were administered in addition to an in-depth exploration of information needs. The priority information needs of carers related to cure, spread of disease and treatments, a similar profile to that found for women with breast cancer in previous work. The main source of information for carers was the person they were caring for, although written information was also valued. Health professionals need to ensure that patients are well informed so that patients can provide information for carers and also need to take advantage of any opportunities to directly assess the information needs of carers to enable them to be more effective in their caring role.
CitationInformation needs of the informal carers of women treated for breast cancer. 2007, 11 (1):16-25 Eur J Oncol Nurs
JournalEuropean Journal of Oncology Nursing
- What do informal carers need from district nursing services?
- Authors: Bliss J
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Informal caring in late life: a qualitative study of the experiences of older carers.
- Authors: McGarry J, Arthur A
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- Stroke: the increasing complexity of carer needs.
- Authors: Ski C, O'Connell B
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- A comparison of the information needs of women newly diagnosed with breast cancer in Malaysia and the United kingdom.
- Authors: Gopal RL, Beaver K, Barnett T, Ismail NS
- Issue date: 2005 Mar-Apr
- Meeting carers' information needs.
- Authors: Jarvis A, Worth A
- Issue date: 2005 Sep