When should the seminal vesicles be included in the target volume in prostate radiotherapy?
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExternal beam radiotherapy to the prostate and seminal vesicles as a radical treatment for prostate cancer can result in a significant dose being delivered to the rectum. This can be reduced if the target volume includes the prostate only. Using a Medline search, published studies are reviewed to show that the risk of seminal vesicle involvement can be accurately predicted using readily available pre-treatment parameters. We recommend when to exclude the seminal vesicles from a target volume, and the proportion of seminal vesicles that should be included in a target volume in higher risk patients.
CitationWhen should the seminal vesicles be included in the target volume in prostate radiotherapy? 2007, 19 (5):302-7 Clin Oncol
- A prospective three-dimensional analysis about the impact of differences in the clinical target volume in prostate cancer irradiation on normal-tissue exposure. A potential for increasing the benefit/risk ratio.
- Authors: Hille A, Töws N, Schmidberger H, Hess CF
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Comparison of dose contribution to normal pelvic tissues among conventional, conformal and intensity-modulated radiotherapy techniques in prostate cancer.
- Authors: Tao Y, Lefkopoulos D, Ibrahima D, Bridier A, Polizzi Mdel P, Wibault P, De Crevoisier R, Arriagada R, Bourhis J
- Issue date: 2008
- A phase II trial for the optimisation of treatment position in the radiation therapy of prostate cancer.
- Authors: O'Neill L, Armstrong J, Buckney S, Assiri M, Cannon M, Holmberg O
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Evaluating the relationships between rectal normal tissue complication probability and the portion of seminal vesicles included in the clinical target volume in intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
- Authors: Gluck I, Vineberg KA, Ten Haken RK, Sandler HM
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 1
- 3-D conformal radiotherapy for prostate cancer. The University of Michigan experience.
- Authors: Sandler HM
- Issue date: 1996