When should the seminal vesicles be included in the target volume in prostate radiotherapy?
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExternal beam radiotherapy to the prostate and seminal vesicles as a radical treatment for prostate cancer can result in a significant dose being delivered to the rectum. This can be reduced if the target volume includes the prostate only. Using a Medline search, published studies are reviewed to show that the risk of seminal vesicle involvement can be accurately predicted using readily available pre-treatment parameters. We recommend when to exclude the seminal vesicles from a target volume, and the proportion of seminal vesicles that should be included in a target volume in higher risk patients.
CitationWhen should the seminal vesicles be included in the target volume in prostate radiotherapy? 2007, 19 (5):302-7 Clin Oncol
- A prospective three-dimensional analysis about the impact of differences in the clinical target volume in prostate cancer irradiation on normal-tissue exposure. A potential for increasing the benefit/risk ratio.
- Authors: Hille A, Töws N, Schmidberger H, Hess CF
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Comparison of treatment volumes and techniques in prostate cancer radiation therapy.
- Authors: Lee CT, Dong L, Ahamad AW, Choi H, Cheung R, Lee AK, Horne DF Jr, Breaux AJ, Kuban DA
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Comparison of dose contribution to normal pelvic tissues among conventional, conformal and intensity-modulated radiotherapy techniques in prostate cancer.
- Authors: Tao Y, Lefkopoulos D, Ibrahima D, Bridier A, Polizzi Mdel P, Wibault P, De Crevoisier R, Arriagada R, Bourhis J
- Issue date: 2008
- Indications for and the significance of seminal vesicle irradiation during 3D conformal radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Diaz A, Roach M 3rd, Marquez C, Coleman L, Pickett B, Wolfe JS, Carroll P, Narayan P
- Issue date: 1994 Sep 30
- Introducing a prognostic score for pretherapeutic assessment of seminal vesicle invasion in patients with clinically localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Salomon L, Porcher R, Anastasiadis AG, Levrel O, Saint F, De la Taille A, Vordos D, Cicco A, Hoznek A, Chopin D, Abbou CC, Lagrange JL
- Issue date: 2003 Jun