Role of colony stimulating factors (CSFs) in solid tumours: results of an expert panel
Aapro, Matti S
Beretta, Giordano Domenico
Del Mastro, Lucia
Di Maio, Massimo
De Petris, Luigi
De Marinis, Filippo
AffiliationDivision of Medical Oncology, S.G. Moscati Hospital, Contrada Amoretta, 83100 Avellino, Italy. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFebrile neutropenia is a relatively frequent event in cancer patients treated with chemotherapy. A relevant body of scientific evidence has been produced in the last 2 decades, through clinical trials addressing the efficacy of colony stimulating factors (CSFs) in the prevention and treatment of febrile neutropenia. The correct use of CSFs needs to be optimized, and several guidelines have been produced and periodically updated, in order to uniform and guide clinical practice. The aim of this review is to synthesize the most relevant clinical trials and the most important existing guidelines about the role of CSFs in solid tumours. Role of CSFs as primary prophylaxis, secondary prophylaxis and treatment of afebrile and febrile neutropenia is discussed. A special focus is dedicated to neutropenia and the use of CSFs in the treatment of the three "big killers" among the solid tumours: breast cancer, lung cancer and colorectal cancer.
CitationRole of colony stimulating factors (CSFs) in solid tumours: results of an expert panel. 2007, 63 (1):53-64 Crit. Rev. Oncol. Hematol.
JournalCritical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology
- Incidence of febrile neutropenia and neutropenic infections in elderly patients receiving anthracycline-based chemotherapy for breast cancer without primary prophylaxis with colony-stimulating factors.
- Authors: Minisini A, Spazzapan S, Crivellari D, Aapro M, Biganzoli L
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Colony-stimulating factor use and impact on febrile neutropenia among patients with newly diagnosed breast, colorectal, or non-small cell lung cancer who were receiving chemotherapy.
- Authors: McCune JS, Sullivan SD, Blough DK, Clarke L, McDermott C, Malin J, Ramsey S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Use of colony-stimulating factors for chemotherapy-associated neutropenia: review of current guidelines.
- Authors: Heuser M, Ganser A, Bokemeyer C, American Society of Clinical Oncology., National Comprehensive Cancer Network., European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Chemotherapy-induced neutropenia in lung cancer patients: the role of antibiotic prophylaxis.
- Authors: Kouranos V, Dimopoulos G, Vassias A, Syrigos KN
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 26
- Clinical practice guidelines for the use of colony-stimulating factors in cancer treatment: Implications for oncology nurses.
- Authors: Kearney N, Friese C
- Issue date: 2008 Feb