A simplified method for the measurement of urinary free cortisol using LC-MS/MS.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Biochemistry, Wythenshawe Hospital, Southmoor Road, Wythenshawe, Manchester M23 9LT, United Kingdom. Joanne.email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe measurement of 24 h urinary free cortisol is used in the investigation of patients with symptoms of hypercortisolism. Many different methods have been published for the measurement of cortisol, but most of these methods involve cumbersome pre-extraction of the cortisol prior to analysis. We have developed a method using in-well protein precipitation which serves to clean up the sample without requiring lengthy sample preparation. A Shimadzu SIL-HT autosampler was used to inject 50 microL of extract onto a Phenomemex Gemini C18 guard column attached to a Waters Xbridge C18 column. The eluant was introduced directly into a Waters Quattro Micro tandem mass spectrometer. The method was found to be linear up to 3448 nmol/L with a lower limit of detection of 5.3 nmol/L. Precision and accuracy were acceptable, and no interference was noted from compounds such as prednisolone or fenofibrate. This assay was compared to a previously published method, which uses solid phase extraction prior to LC-MS/MS analysis. We have developed a simplified, robust assay for the quantitation of urinary free cortisol that will increase the throughput of the assay and avoid the use of neurotoxic solvents such as dichloromethane.
CitationA simplified method for the measurement of urinary free cortisol using LC-MS/MS. 2007, 858 (1-2):27-31 J. Chromatogr. B
JournalJournal of Chromatography. B
- Measurement of urinary free cortisol using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: comparison with the urine adapted ACS:180 serum cortisol chemiluminescent immunoassay and development of a new reference range.
- Authors: McCann SJ, Gillingwater S, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Measurement of serotonin in platelet depleted plasma by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Monaghan PJ, Brown HA, Houghton LA, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 15
- Measurement of plasma 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry--comparison with HPLC methodology.
- Authors: Miller AG, Brown H, Degg T, Allen K, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 1
- A simplified liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry assay, using on-line solid-phase extraction, for the quantitation of cortisol in saliva and comparison with a routine DELFIA method.
- Authors: Owen LJ, Haslam S, Adaway JE, Wood P, Glenn C, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Simultaneous analysis of cortisol and cortisone in saliva using XLC-MS/MS for fully automated online solid phase extraction.
- Authors: Jones RL, Owen LJ, Adaway JE, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 15