Preoperative chemotherapy in patients with resectable non-small cell lung cancer: results of the MRC LU22/NVALT 2/EORTC 08012 multicentre randomised trial and update of systematic review
Van Meerbeeck, Jan
Parmar, Mahesh K B
Stephens, Richard J
AffiliationAddenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Although surgery offers the best chance of cure for patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), the overall 5-year survival rate is modest, and improvements are urgently needed. In the 1990s, much interest was generated from two small trials that reported striking results with neo-adjuvant chemotherapy, and therefore our intergroup randomised trial was designed to investigate whether, in patients with operable non-small cell lung cancer of any stage, outcomes could be improved by giving platinum-based chemotherapy before surgery. METHODS: Patients were randomised to receive either surgery alone (S), or three cycles of platinum-based chemotherapy followed by surgery (CT-S). Before randomisation, clinicians chose the chemotherapy that would be given from a list of six standard regimens. The primary outcome measure was overall survival, which was analysed on an intention-to-treat basis. This study is registered as an International Standard Randomised Controlled Trial, number ISRCTN25582437. RESULTS: 519 patients were randomised (S: 261, CT-S: 258) from 70 centres in the UK, Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium. Most (61%) were clinical stage I, with 31% stage II, and 7% stage III. Neo-adjuvant chemotherapy was feasible (75% of patients received all three cycles of chemotherapy), resulted in a good response rate (49% [95% CI 43%-55%]) and down-staging in 31% (25%-37%) of patients, and did not alter the type or completeness of the surgery (lobectomy: S: 56%, CT-S: 60%, complete resection: S: 80%, CT-S: 82%). Post-operative complications were not increased in the CT-S group, and no impairment of quality of life was observed. However, there was no evidence of a benefit in terms of overall survival (hazard ratio [HR] 1.02, 95% CI 0.80-1.31, p=0.86). Updating the systematic review by addition of the present result suggests a 12% relative survival benefit with the addition of neoadjuvant chemotherapy (1507 patients, HR 0.88, 95% CI 0.76-1.01, p=0.07), equivalent to an absolute improvement in survival of 5% at 5 years INTERPRETATION: Although there was no evidence of a difference in overall survival with neo-adjuvant chemotherapy, the result is statistically consistent with previous trials, and therefore adds considerable weight to the current evidence.
CitationPreoperative chemotherapy in patients with resectable non-small cell lung cancer: results of the MRC LU22/NVALT 2/EORTC 08012 multicentre randomised trial and update of systematic review. 2007, 369 (9577):1929-37 Lancet
- Preoperative chemotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data.
- Authors: NSCLC Meta-analysis Collaborative Group.
- Issue date: 2014 May 3
- A randomised trial comparing preoperative to perioperative chemotherapy in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer (IFCT 0002 trial).
- Authors: Westeel V, Quoix E, Puyraveau M, Lavolé A, Braun D, Laporte S, Bigay-Game L, Pujol JL, Ozenne G, Rivière A, Douillard JY, Lebeau B, Debieuvre D, Poudenx M, David P, Molinier O, Zalcman G, Lemarié E, Morin F, Depierre A, Milleron B, Intergroupe Francophone de Cancérologie Thoracique.
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- A rapid and systematic review of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of paclitaxel, docetaxel, gemcitabine and vinorelbine in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Clegg A, Scott DA, Sidhu M, Hewitson P, Waugh N
- Issue date: 2001
- Adjuvant chemotherapy, with or without postoperative radiotherapy, in operable non-small-cell lung cancer: two meta-analyses of individual patient data.
- Authors: NSCLC Meta-analyses Collaborative Group., Arriagada R, Auperin A, Burdett S, Higgins JP, Johnson DH, Le Chevalier T, Le Pechoux C, Parmar MK, Pignon JP, Souhami RL, Stephens RJ, Stewart LA, Tierney JF, Tribodet H, van Meerbeeck J
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 10
- A systematic overview of chemotherapy effects in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Sörenson S, Glimelius B, Nygren P, SBU-group. Swedish Council of Technology Assessment in Health Care.
- Issue date: 2001