AffiliationBreast Biology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis Review summarizes and evaluates the current evidence for the cellular origins of breast cancer subtypes identified by different approaches such as histology, molecular pathology, genetic and gene-expression analysis. Emerging knowledge of the normal breast cell types has led to the hypothesis that the subtypes of breast cancer might arise from mutations or genetic rearrangements occurring in different populations of stem cells and progenitor cells. We describe the common distinguishing features of these breast cancer subtypes and explain how these features relate both to prognosis and to selection of the most appropriate therapy. Recent data indicate that breast tumors may originate from cancer stem cells. Consequently, inhibition of stem-cell self-renewal pathways should be explored because of the likelihood that residual stem cells might be resistant to current therapies.
CitationOrigins of breast cancer subtypes and therapeutic implications. 2007, 4 (9):516-25 Nat Clin Pract Oncol
JournalNature Clinical Practice Oncology
- Implications of the cancer stem-cell hypothesis for breast cancer prevention and therapy.
- Authors: Kakarala M, Wicha MS
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 10
- Therapeutic options in the management of metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Higgins MJ, Wolff AC
- Issue date: 2008 May
- A pathway-based approach for identifying biomarkers of tumor progression to trastuzumab-resistant breast cancer.
- Authors: Nam S, Chang HR, Jung HR, Gim Y, Kim NY, Grailhe R, Seo HR, Park HS, Balch C, Lee J, Park I, Jung SY, Jeong KC, Powis G, Liang H, Lee ES, Ro J, Kim YH
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 28
- HER3, p95HER2, and HER2 protein expression levels define multiple subtypes of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Lipton A, Goodman L, Leitzel K, Cook J, Sperinde J, Haddad M, Köstler WJ, Huang W, Weidler JM, Ali S, Newton A, Fuchs EM, Paquet A, Singer CF, Horvat R, Jin X, Banerjee J, Mukherjee A, Tan Y, Shi Y, Chenna A, Larson J, Lie Y, Sherwood T, Petropoulos CJ, Williams S, Winslow J, Parry G, Bates M
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Emerging Therapeutic Strategies in Breast Cancer.
- Authors: Cox K, Alford B, Soliman H
- Issue date: 2017 Oct