Investigation of downstream target genes of PAX3c, PAX3e and PAX3g isoforms in melanocytes by microarray analysis.
AffiliationSchool of Biology, Chemistry and Health Science, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPAX3 encodes a transcription factor, which with Zic1 is necessary for induction of the neural crest during early embryonic development. There are 7 human PAX3 isoforms (a-h). PAX3e is the full length isoform comprising 10 exons. PAX3c comprises 8 exons plus 5 codons of intron 8, while PAX3g has a truncated transactivation domain. Previous studies by us indicated that these isoforms have different activities in melanocytes in vitro. In this study, a mouse gene oligo array ( approximately 7.5 k oligos), from the Human Genome Mapping Project (HGMP) Resource Centre, was used to screen for alterations in downstream gene expression in PAX3c, PAX3e and PAX3g melanocyte transfectants, compared with empty vector controls. The data analyses identified 109 genes up or downregulated, at least 2-fold, and involved in cell differentiation, proliferation, migration, adhesion, apoptosis and angiogenesis. Semi-quantitative RT-PCR and Western blotting confirmed the changes identified by microarrays for several putative targets of PAX3, including Met, MyoD and Muc18, and previously undescribed targets, including Dhh, Fgf17, Kitl and Rac1. Thus, our data reveal that PAX3 isoforms regulate distinct but overlapping sets of genes in melanocytes in vitro.
CitationInvestigation of downstream target genes of PAX3c, PAX3e and PAX3g isoforms in melanocytes by microarray analysis. 2007, 120 (6):1223-31 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer.
- Functional analysis of alternative isoforms of the transcription factor PAX3 in melanocytes in vitro.
- Authors: Wang Q, Kumar S, Slevin M, Kumar P
- Issue date: 2006 Sep 1
- Mechanisms contributing to differential regulation of PAX3 downstream target genes in normal human epidermal melanocytes versus melanoma cells.
- Authors: Bartlett D, Boyle GM, Ziman M, Medic S
- Issue date: 2015
- Pax3 transcripts in melanoblast development.
- Authors: Blake JA, Ziman MR
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Pigmentation PAX-ways: the role of Pax3 in melanogenesis, melanocyte stem cell maintenance, and disease.
- Authors: Kubic JD, Young KP, Plummer RS, Ludvik AE, Lang D
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- PAX3 expression in normal skin melanocytes and melanocytic lesions (naevi and melanomas).
- Authors: Medic S, Ziman M
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 22