Glutathione S-transferase pi (GSTP1) hypermethylation in prostate cancer: review 2007.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Bostwick Laboratories, London, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstatic carcinoma is characterised by the silencing of the pi-class glutathione S-transferase gene (GSTP1), which encodes a detoxifying enzyme. The silencing of GSTP1 results from aberrant methylation at the CpG island in the promoter-5' and occurs in the vast majority of cases of high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) and prostate cancers. We review the potential novel role of GSTP1 and its related expression in prostate cancer. The loss of expression (silencing) of the GSTP1 gene is the most common (>90%) genetic alteration reported to date in prostate cancer. Quantitative methylation-specific PCR assays allow detection of GSTP1 methylation in prostate biopsies and may improve the sensitivity of cancer detection. Advances in the epigenetic characterisation of prostate cancer have enabled the development of DNA methylation assays that may soon be used in diagnostic testing of serum and tissue for prostate cancer. Inhibition of aberrant promoter methylation could theoretically prevent carcinogenesis.
CitationGlutathione S-transferase pi (GSTP1) hypermethylation in prostate cancer: review 2007. 2007, 39 (3):299-304 Pathology
- Reversal of GSTP1 CpG island hypermethylation and reactivation of pi-class glutathione S-transferase (GSTP1) expression in human prostate cancer cells by treatment with procainamide.
- Authors: Lin X, Asgari K, Putzi MJ, Gage WR, Yu X, Cornblatt BS, Kumar A, Piantadosi S, DeWeese TL, De Marzo AM, Nelson WG
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 15
- CG island methylation changes near the GSTP1 gene in prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia.
- Authors: Brooks JD, Weinstein M, Lin X, Sun Y, Pin SS, Bova GS, Epstein JI, Isaacs WB, Nelson WG
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- GSTP1 CpG island hypermethylation as a molecular biomarker for prostate cancer.
- Authors: Nakayama M, Gonzalgo ML, Yegnasubramanian S, Lin X, De Marzo AM, Nelson WG
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 15
- I105V polymorphism and promoter methylation of the GSTP1 gene in prostate adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Jerónimo C, Varzim G, Henrique R, Oliveira J, Bento MJ, Silva C, Lopes C, Sidransky D
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Quantitation of GSTP1 methylation in non-neoplastic prostatic tissue and organ-confined prostate adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Jerónimo C, Usadel H, Henrique R, Oliveira J, Lopes C, Nelson WG, Sidransky D
- Issue date: 2001 Nov 21