AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe identification of adults with severe growth hormone (GH) deficiency (GHD) is not straightforward. The insulin tolerance test remains the gold standard diagnostic test, although other stimuli such as GH-releasing hormone-arginine are gaining acceptance. Insulin-like growth factor-I has a poor diagnostic sensitivity in adult-onset GHD, but is more useful in the subgroup of adults with childhood-onset GHD. Therapeutic developments include increasing recognition of the need to continue GH therapy beyond final height in young adults with severe GHD on retesting. Consensus guidelines have provided a useful algorithm to identify individuals requiring retesting and the number of tests needed. The concept of partial GHD, recognized by paediatric endocrinologists for many years, is being examined in adults with hypothalamic-pituitary disease. Preliminary evidence suggests that this entity is associated with metabolic and anthropometric abnormalities intermediate between those in severe GHD and in healthy controls. It remains to be seen whether this subgroup will derive benefit from GH therapy. To date, therapeutic benefits of GH have been demonstrated only in adults with severe GHD. It is, therefore, imperative that these individuals are unequivocally identified; the diagnosis becomes more uncertain in the presence of obesity, increasing age, and in the absence of additional pituitary hormone deficits.
CitationDefining growth hormone status in adults with hypopituitarism. 2007, 68 (4):185-94 Horm. Res.
- Re-assessment of growth hormone secretion in young adult patients with childhood-onset growth hormone deficiency.
- Authors: Donaubauer J, Kiess W, Kratzsch J, Nowak T, Steinkamp H, Willgerodt H, Keller E
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- The advantage of measuring spontaneous growth hormone (GH) secretion compared with the insulin tolerance test in the diagnosis of GH deficiency in young adults.
- Authors: Radetti G, di Iorgi N, Paganini C, Gastaldi R, Napoli F, Lorini R, Maghnie M
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Growth hormone releasing hormone plus arginine stimulation testing in young adults treated in childhood with cranio-spinal radiation therapy.
- Authors: Ham JN, Ginsberg JP, Hendell CD, Moshang T Jr
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Update on epidemiology, etiology, and diagnosis of adult growth hormone deficiency.
- Authors: Prodam F, Pagano L, Corneli G, Golisano G, Belcastro S, Busti A, Gasco V, Beccuti G, Grottoli S, Di Somma C, Colao A, Ghigo E, Aimaretti G
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Diagnosis of adult GH deficiency.
- Authors: Ghigo E, Aimaretti G, Corneli G
- Issue date: 2008 Feb