Sentinel node in head and neck cancer: use of size criterion to upstage the no neck in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
AuthorsAlkureishi, Lee W T
Ross, Gary L
MacDonald, D Gordon
Gray, Harry W
Soutar, David S
AffiliationPlastic Surgery Unit, Canniesburn Hospital, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Anatomical imaging tools demonstrate poor sensitivity in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) patients with clinically node-negative necks (cN0). This study evaluates nodal size as a staging criterion for detection of cervical metastases, utilizing sentinel node biopsy (SNB) and additional pathology (step-serial sectioning, SSS; and immunohistochemistry, IHC). METHODS: Sixty-five patients with clinically N0 disease underwent SNB, with a mean of 2.4 nodes excised per patient. Nodes were fixed in formalin, bisected, and measured in 3 axes before hematoxylin-eosin staining. Negative nodes were subjected to SSS and IHC. SNB-positive patients underwent modified radical neck dissection. RESULTS: Maximum diameter was larger in levels II and III (13.1 and 13.2 mm) when compared with level I (10.5 mm; p = .004, p = .018), while minimum diameter was constant. Positive nodes were larger than negative nodes (p = .007), but nodes found positive by SSS/IHC were not significantly larger than negative nodes for either measurement (p = .433). Sensitivity and specificity were poor for all measurements. CONCLUSIONS: Nodal size is an inaccurate predictor of nodal metastases and should not be regarded as an accurate means of staging the clinically N0 neck.
CitationSentinel node in head and neck cancer: use of size criterion to upstage the no neck in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. 2007, 29 (2):95-103 Head Neck
JournalHead & Neck
- The use of sentinel node biopsy to upstage the clinically N0 neck in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Ross G, Shoaib T, Soutar DS, Camilleri IG, Gray HW, Bessent RG, Robertson AG, MacDonald DG
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Does tumor depth affect nodal upstaging in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck?
- Authors: Alkureishi LW, Ross GL, Shoaib T, Soutar DS, Robertson AG, Sorensen JA, Thomsen J, Krogdahl A, Alvarez J, Barbier L, Santamaria J, Poli T, Sesenna E, Kovács AF, Grünwald F, Barzan L, Sulfaro S, Alberti F
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Histopathologic validation of the sentinel node concept in oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Nieuwenhuis EJ, van der Waal I, Leemans CR, Kummer A, Pijpers R, Castelijns JA, Brakenhoff RH, Snow GB
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Improved staging of cervical metastases in clinically node-negative patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Ross GL, Soutar DS, MacDonald DG, Shoaib T, Camilleri IG, Robertson AG
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- Predictive value of sentinel node biopsy in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Chone CT, Magalhes RS, Etchehebere E, Camargo E, Altemani A, Crespo AN
- Issue date: 2008 Aug