Daily monitoring of linear accelerator beam parameters using an amorphous silicon EPID.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn amorphous silicon EPID has been investigated to test its suitability as a daily check device for linac output and to provide daily monitoring of beam profile parameters such as flatness, symmetry, field size and wedge factor. Open and wedged 6 and 8 MV photon beams were collected on a daily basis for a period of just over a year and analysed in software to determine daily values of these parameters. Daily output results gave agreement between EPID measured dose and ion chamber measurements with a standard deviation of 0.65%. Step changes in flatness, symmetry and field size were readily detected by the EPID and could be correlated with adjustments made on service days and QC sessions. The results could also be used to assess the long term beam stability. Recalibration of the EPID required new baseline values of the parameters to be set. Wedge factors measured at one collimator angle proved stable but sensitive to changes in beam steering. The EPID proved to be a useful daily check device for linac output which can simultaneously be used for daily monitoring of beam profiles and field sizes.
CitationDaily monitoring of linear accelerator beam parameters using an amorphous silicon EPID. 2007, 52 (6):1721-33 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Improving IMRT quality control efficiency using an amorphous silicon electronic portal imager.
- Authors: Budgell GJ, Zhang Q, Trouncer RJ, Mackay RI
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Use of an amorphous silicon electronic portal imaging device for multileaf collimator quality control and calibration.
- Authors: Baker SJ, Budgell GJ, MacKay RI
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 7
- [Application of amorphous silicon electronic portal imaging device (a-Si EPID) to dosimetry quality assurance of radiation therapy].
- Authors: Chen MW, Deng XW, Huang SM, Chen L, Kang DH
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Experimental investigation of the response of an a-Si EPID to an unflattened photon beam from an Elekta Precise linear accelerator.
- Authors: Tyner E, McClean B, McCavana P, af Wetterstedt S
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Fast, daily linac verification for segmented IMRT using electronic portal imaging.
- Authors: Vieira SC, Bolt RA, Dirkx ML, Visser AG, Heijmen BJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jul