Clarke, Robert B
Evans, D Gareth R
Bundred, Nigel J
Santen, Richard J
Allred, D Craig
AffiliationCRUK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEstrogen deprivation (ED) either as a result of a natural or artificial menopause or the use of aromatase inhibitors in postmenopausal women results in a reduction of the incidence of breast cancer. Two major clinical trials of this approach comparing anastrozole or exemestane with placebo are currently in progress to test their efficacy for prevention. Reduction of contralateral breast lesions by at least 50% compared with tamoxifen indicate this approach has promise. The target lesion within the breast for ED is not known but we argue that hyperplastic enlarged lobular units (HELUs) as well as more advanced lesions are good candidates. A major problem for ED is de novo or acquired resistance to its effectiveness. We discuss potential mechanisms of resistance including high concentrations of tissue estrogens, increase in growth factor, and signal transduction pathways within the epithelial cell and activation of paracrine pathways from breast adipocytes, macrophages and fibroblasts. It may be possible to increase effectiveness of ED by additional preventive agents or by lifestyle alterations.
CitationEstrogen deprivation for breast cancer prevention. 2007, 174:151-67 Recent Results Cancer Res.
JournalRecent results in cancer research.
- Development and evolution of therapies targeted to the estrogen receptor for the treatment and prevention of breast cancer.
- Authors: Jordan VC, Brodie AM
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Where do selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) and aromatase inhibitors (AIs) now fit into breast cancer treatment algorithms?
- Authors: Howell A, Howell SJ, Clarke R, Anderson E
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- [Tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors in the treatment of breast cancer in menopausal women: pharmacological and clinical aspects].
- Authors: de Cremoux P, Diéras V, Poupon MF, Magdelénat H, Sigal-Zafrani B, Fourquet A, Pierga JY
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Breast cancer prevention--clinical trials strategies involving aromatase inhibitors.
- Authors: Goss PE
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Hormones, receptors, and growth in hyperplastic enlarged lobular units: early potential precursors of breast cancer.
- Authors: Lee S, Mohsin SK, Mao S, Hilsenbeck SG, Medina D, Allred DC
- Issue date: 2006