AffiliationSchool of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science, The University of Manchester, Faraday Building, Sackville Street, Manchester M60 1QD, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new technique for modelling multiple-order Compton scatter which uses the absolute probabilities relating the image space to the projection space in 3D whole body PET is presented. The details considered in this work give a valuable insight into the scatter problem, particularly for multiple scatter. Such modelling is advantageous for large attenuating media where scatter is a dominant component of the measured data, and where multiple scatter may dominate the total scatter depending on the energy threshold and object size. The model offers distinct features setting it apart from previous research: (1) specification of the scatter distribution for each voxel based on the transmission data, the physics of Compton scattering and the specification of a given PET system; (2) independence from the true activity distribution; (3) in principle no scaling or iterative process is required to find the distribution; (4) explicit multiple scatter modelling; (5) no scatter subtraction or addition to the forward model when included in the system matrix used with statistical image reconstruction methods; (6) adaptability to many different scatter compensation methods from simple and fast to more sophisticated and therefore slower methods; (7) accuracy equivalent to that of a Monte Carlo model. The scatter model has been validated using Monte Carlo simulation (SimSET).
CitationHigh accuracy multiple scatter modelling for 3D whole body PET. 2007, 52 (3):829-47 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Full modelling of the MOSAIC animal PET system based on the GATE Monte Carlo simulation code.
- Authors: Merheb C, Petegnief Y, Talbot JN
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 7
- Comparative evaluation of scatter correction in 3D PET using different scatter-level approximations.
- Authors: Polycarpou I, Thielemans K, Manjeshwar R, Aguiar P, Marsden PK, Tsoumpas C
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Evaluation of 3D Monte Carlo-based scatter correction for 201Tl cardiac perfusion SPECT.
- Authors: Xiao J, de Wit TC, Zbijewski W, Staelens SG, Beekman FJ
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Multi-ray-based system matrix generation for 3D PET reconstruction.
- Authors: Moehrs S, Defrise M, Belcari N, Guerra AD, Bartoli A, Fabbri S, Zanetti G
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 7
- A parallelizable compression scheme for Monte Carlo scatter system matrices in PET image reconstruction.
- Authors: Rehfeld N, Alber M
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 21