A structure resembling basal/external lamina on the surface of plasma cells, and a discussion on intercellular contacts between hemolymphoid cells.
AuthorsEyden, Brian P
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBasal/external lamina is not found over plasma cells or other hemolymphoid cells, and the feature can have diagnostic value in distinguishing the neoplastic counterparts of such cells from epithelium, endothelium, mesothelium, and so on, which do have this feature. In this paper, a material ultrastructurally indistinguishable from basal or external lamina is reported on reactive plasma cells found in a fibrous pseudotumor, intralobular stroma of normal breast, tumor stroma of squamous cell carcinoma, and submucosa of normal human small intestine. It was focal, followed the contours of the cell-surface membrane, was lightly textured, 40-80 nm thick, and separated from the plasma cell surface membrane by a clear space resembling a lamina lucida. Its function remains uncertain, although it may implement adhesion to other cells, as part of the immune functions that plasma cells and other hemolymphoid cells perform in the gut, for example, and elsewhere.
CitationA structure resembling basal/external lamina on the surface of plasma cells, and a discussion on intercellular contacts between hemolymphoid cells., 33 (1):16-20 Ultrastruct Pathol
- [Ultrastructural basal lamina alterations at the tumor-stroma junction in invasive laryngeal carcinoma (author's transl)].
- Authors: Schenk P
- Issue date: 1981 Nov
- A light and electron microscopic quantitative analysis of nerve-immune cell contacts in the gut-associated lymphoid tissue of the mouse colon.
- Authors: Crivellato E, Soldano F, Travan L
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Intralobular stromal fibroblasts in the resting human mammary gland: ultrastructural properties and intercellular relationships.
- Authors: Eyden BP, Watson RJ, Harris M, Howell A
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- Basement-membrane-related peri-vascular matrices not organised as a basal lamina: distribution in malignant tumours and benign lesions.
- Authors: Eyden B, Yamazaki K, Menasce LP, Charchanti A, Agnantis NJ
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Honeycomb structure in the lamina lucida of epidermal basement membrane during metamorphosis of Rana temporaria ornativentris.
- Authors: Osawa T, Feng XY, Marue H, Liao MY, Nozaka Y
- Issue date: 2002 Oct