AuthorsEyden, Brian P
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe fibronexus is recognized as a characteristic marker of the myofibroblast. However, it is not completely specific for this cell, having been seen in aortic smooth muscle (in attenuated form) and endothelium in experimental animals. This paper documents fibronexus junctions in human in vivo endothelium. Ultrastructural observations were made on the vasculature of a desmoplastic and focally neurotropic malignant melanoma. Cross-sectioned fibronectin fibrils were seen outside the stromal surface of the endothelial plasmalemma. Often, they were positioned directly opposite the actin-filament bundles in the peripheral cytoplasm. Neoplastic and in vitro cultured cells apart, endothelium is the only nonmyofibroblastic cell type to show well-developed fibronexus junctions. Mostly, they have been documented in aortic endothelium in experimental animals, where they possibly constitute an adaptation to hemodynamic stress, and where they might more securely anchor endothelium on to subjacent connective tissue. They might also function as mechanotransducers of extracellular stress in the extracellular milieu. The present observations constitute a further, rare example of endothelium-associated fibronexuses in reactive human vessels.
CitationFibronexus junctions associated with in vivo human endothelium., 33 (1):28-32 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Epithelioid sarcoma: a case report with ultrastructural confirmation of myofibroblastic differentiation based on fibronexus junctions.
- Authors: Eyden B, Wang G, Yao L
- Issue date: 2009 Mar-Apr
- [Ultrastructure of capillary permeability in human brain tumor: primary meningeal malignant melanoma].
- Authors: Shibata S, Ochi A, Yamashita H, Yasunaga A, Mori K
- Issue date: 1990 Jun
- The myofibroblast: a study of normal, reactive and neoplastic tissues, with an emphasis on ultrastructure. Part 1--normal and reactive cells.
- Authors: Eyden B
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Ultrastructural study of hemangiomas. 1. Capillary hemangioma of the skin.
- Authors: Kojimahara M, Yamazaki K, Ooneda G
- Issue date: 1981 Jan
- Fibronexus in "malignant fibrous histiocytoma" of the bone: a case report of pleomorphic myofibrosarcoma.
- Authors: Watanabe K, Ogura G
- Issue date: 2002 Jan-Feb