Failure of antibody response to polysaccharide antigen in treated panhypopituitary adults.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough pituitary hormones are known to affect immune function, treated hypopituitarism is not a recognized cause of immune deficiency in humans. We set out to assess integrity of baseline and stimulated immune function in severely hypopituitary adults. Twenty-one panhypopituitary adults (group 1), on stable pituitary replacement including growth hormone, and 12 healthy volunteers (group 2) were studied. Lymphocyte subsets, pneumococcal antibody levels pre- and 1 month after polysaccharide vaccination, T cell numbers and in-vitro interferon (IFN)-gamma response were studied. There were no significant differences in T cell numbers or IFN-gamma secretion. B cell numbers were lower in group 1, especially those with low prolactin levels. Independent of this finding, nine of 21 patients in this group had low antibody response to polysaccharide antigen. This was most striking in those with low insulin-like growth factor 1 levels and appeared to be independent of the use of anti-convulsants or corticosteroid replacement. Significant humoral immune deficiency is seen in panhypopituitarism and may contribute to morbidity.
CitationFailure of antibody response to polysaccharide antigen in treated panhypopituitary adults. 2009, 156 (2):271-7 Clin. Exp. Immunol.
JournalClinical and Experimental Immunology
- Safety and antibody response, including antibody persistence for 5 years, after primary vaccination or revaccination with pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in middle-aged and older adults.
- Authors: Musher DM, Manof SB, Liss C, McFetridge RD, Marchese RD, Bushnell B, Alvarez F, Painter C, Blum MD, Silber JL
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 15
- Antibody forming cells and plasmablasts in peripheral blood in CVID patients after vaccination.
- Authors: Chovancova Z, Vlkova M, Litzman J, Lokaj J, Thon V
- Issue date: 2011 May 31
- Immune function in hypopituitarism: time to reconsider?
- Authors: Mukherjee A, Helbert M, Davis J, Shalet S
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Vaccination with polysaccharide-conjugate-vaccines in adult patients with specific antibody deficiency.
- Authors: Shrimpton A, Duddridge M, Ziegler-Heitbrock L
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 24
- Th17/Th1 biased immunity to the pneumococcal proteins PcsB, StkP and PsaA in adults of different age.
- Authors: Schmid P, Selak S, Keller M, Luhan B, Magyarics Z, Seidel S, Schlick P, Reinisch C, Lingnau K, Nagy E, Grubeck-Loebenstein B
- Issue date: 2011 May 23